Clicking Noise through EO

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
markheus

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 pm

I've seen some others posting on this issue so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I've discovered the clicking noise when hooking anything up to the foot switch jack. Whether I use the blackstar foot switch my GT 100 I get the high speed clicking noise through the emulated output when plugged into my Zoom R8. I don't get it through the speaker output - just the EO.

I've tried it using a mono cable and a stereo cable that splits into two mono cables as well.

I"m pretty sure it has to do with the interaction between the foot switch and EO jacks.

Can anyone replicate this?

Here is a link to the file.

https://files.secureserver.net/0s2g7h2xFnTXK9

myk.robinson

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:24 am

Interesting.. Do you get the same noise running EO without anything in the footswitch jack?

I use the FS100 and get no such noise. Also, can you replicate the problem when plugged into something other than the Zoom? Have you tried direct to another audio device? I ask that because if I record using my Akai Pro EIE, I get a very obnoxious static-like noise, but if I plug into my Samson Studio GT audio interface, everything is pristine. Other things plugged into the same interface work fine, but the Akai does NOT like the Blackstar EO.

I have no explanation for my boggle, I just use my other audio interface to record the Blackstar, as it seems to be the only thing that gives me grief.

markheus

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 am

Oddly - if the cable is plugged into the jack but not connected to anything on the other end I don't get the sound. I hooked up headphones directly up to the EO jack but its not really loud to tell whether its there or not. The GT-100 has an amp control switch - basically just a two position foot switch control - and it does the same thing with that.

I don't have anything else to plug into unfortunately - I had the zoom plugged into the same circuit as the amp but tomorrow I may use the batteries and see if it does the same thing.

I do live in an older house so tomorrow I may go through and disconnect devices - maybe a ceiling fan in another part of the house is causing cross talk.

kartes

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 am

Hey guys. I believe markheus is on to something. I've also noticed a rapid clicking sound coming through the emulated output of my ID:260 just like the recording. I have my emulated output running into a BOSS JS-10. The clicking only appears when I have the FS-10 footswitch connected to the amp. Unplug the footswitch and the problem goes away - dead silent.

I've tried different outlets, different cables, different houses, etc. and the clicking was always there. I never ran the amp without the footswitch. But bingo - unplug the footswitch and no more clicking.

Anybody have any thoughts as to why the footswitch is the culprit?

Madimax

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I also have the FS-10 footswitch and from the start i didnt like it because of the delay when changing presets on the amp. I have not recorded with it yet so i dont now about the clicking sound.

I recomend you to test a midi foot controller insted to see if the clicking is gone then.

I have the BOSS FC-50 midi foot controller and it changes the presets with out any delay on my ID:60.

Regards Peter from sweden :)

Mooncat69

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Could this be because they are running power and serialised data over the footswitch cable? I imagine that might be a source of noise.

markheus

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 am

I don't think its specific to the FS 10 footswitch. I have a BOSS Gt-100 that has an amp control function. Basically its a programmable switch that is basically like having a two button footswitch built into the GT-100. I get the exact same clicking when plugged into that.

markheus

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 am

Yep - Zero problems with the MIDI footswitch! It works perfectly with no delay.

I just wonder if its a defect within the amp or maybe just something in my house. I'll play around some more but use a MIDI Controller in the meantime.

Madimax wrote:I also have the FS-10 footswitch and from the start i didnt like it because of the delay when changing presets on the amp. I have not recorded with it yet so i dont now about the clicking sound.

I recomend you to test a midi foot controller insted to see if the clicking is gone then.

I have the BOSS FC-50 midi foot controller and it changes the presets with out any delay on my ID:60.

Regards Peter from sweden :)

AscottAudio

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Well that is some mighty fine detective work!

I was one of the first to have an ID260 and I brought the EO clicking noise to the attention of Blackstar only to be pretty much ignored.

I just tried unplugging the FS10 and sure enough the clicking is gone. Thanks very much!..

This issue has been annoying me for quite a while and although it is low level..on some recordings with lots of compression I could hear it in some guitar only passages fade out...and the like.

At least now I can eliminate this while recording...it is a pity that it took some one other than Blackstar themselves to find this out.

Well done!

markheus

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Its interesting because I just picked up the guitar after being absent for a few years. I used to have a GNX4 which ran to FRFR speakers but this time I wanted to get back to my roots by buying an actual amplifier. I did a fair amount of research and narrowed it down to the Blackstar ID and the Fender Mustang. I ended up going with the BLACKSTAR because, honestly, it sounds freakin' amazing, especially for high gain tones.

However, I did troll the forums for both products before I purchased and honestly, if it hadn't been for the retro looks and lack of a good, modern, high gain metal sound I would have purchased the Fender. One aspect that was swaying me to the Fender side was that there was an active, responsive, rep in their online forums. I think its be hard for a company to put someone out there because they can become the focal point for a lot of complaints and griping but they did it anyway. Again, if the ID hadn't sounded so freakin' awesome I would have returned it and gone with the Fender - I was that impressed by their customer support.

Here it almost feels like we're lucky to even have this board - let alone have someone watch it and respond.

I think they would be much better served, from a sales point, to focus their attention on customer service and responsiveness than offering free lessons if you buy their amp.

I mean, really? Who is going to buy an amp, especially a premium amp like the blackstar, in order to get some free lessons.

That doesn't make sense.

• Information