Questions about OD1 and OD2

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
jds22

Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:54 pm

I have the 260 and really like it except for the 2 OD channels.

OD1 sounds too loose and mushy on the low end.
OD2 has that cocked wah sound.

I've tried all of the different tube models, ISF settings, and twisted the tone controls all over the place but I just can't seem to get along with these.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks

cadblaster

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:01 pm

First thing that comes to mind is pickups.
To tighten up the bottom end, try lowering the pickup and or polescrews at the base strings.
Cocked Wah, usually means you need to turn down the upper midrange to get rid of it.
Might be worth your time trying some different pickups.

jds22

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:04 pm

cadblaster wrote:First thing that comes to mind is pickups.
To tighten up the bottom end, try lowering the pickup and or polescrews at the base strings.
Cocked Wah, usually means you need to turn down the upper midrange to get rid of it.
Might be worth your time trying some different pickups.
I might try lowering the pickups a bit but I've run 3 different guitars/pickups thru the amp with the same results. Stock Ibanez, Duncan 59s, and Dimarzio Evolutions.

I'm starting to think it's just how OD1 & OD2 are voiced. I don't hear this on crunch or super crunch, or on my other amps.

I might also try an EQ in the loop.

Thanks

cadblaster

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I agree, the ID seems voiced with a lot of bottom end when compared to other amps. Just remembered that when I switched speaker cabinets around, the first thing I noticed was more articulation in the bass than the stock speaker.......

jds22

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Makes sense.
If I had some spare cash lying around I'd experiment with different speaders but I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

sean_ellis

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:29 pm

hey, i think im experiencing the same thing too on my id260 and its a kinda let down as i only bought this amp a couple days ago based on youtube reviews and other guitar magazine reviews saying how good the OD channels were, which was one of the prime reasons for buying this amp.

i expected OD1 to be more tight and punchy so i could get a good metalcore sound (BFMV-ish), but even with my EMG 81/85 set on my esp/ltd and having the TVP on the 6L6 it was still just too mushy. i turned the presence just past the 12 position and that helped, but not a whole lot.

And it totally get what your on about with OD2, but i think it sounds more of a vintage distortion, and maybe why its voiced like that.. it still bugs me though.

it just doesnt sound right to me.. the cleans are perfectly fine, and the crunches, but the OD's just dont sound as i think they were made out to be. i know its wrong because i think my old line 6 spider iv 75W can make better distortion than this which is a real shame :/

otter5555

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:59 pm

od 2 is my favorite saturated lead tone with sustain for days. i dont hear any cocked wah sound on my id 15 and 30

with el34's it gives me the satch/vai lead tone that i love.

i run all duncans in my guitars and mostly play les pauls or vintage jacksons

ymmv

yep, there's tons of bass in the ids, but i just turn down the bass knob :)

frettfreak

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I love my ID 60 on every channel (i have an ibananez with a Dimarzio dsonic). I dont have any of the issues mentioned, however, have you tried turning the resonance down?i find if i go past about he 1 o'clock position it doesnt sound as good as when thats set lower.

My first thought was what cad mentioned with the pickups though.

can you post some sounds? maybe you have a defective unit?

I can honestly say that i havent been this in love with an amp in a really long time. Its not perfect, but i love it. Cad, just curious but what speakers where in the cab you switched to? i was contemplating throwing some kind of celestion in this thing but not sure.

• Information