Choosing the right ID Series amp.

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
SpaceLuke

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello to all fellow Blackstar Users! I'm Lucas, 31y-o Born and raised in Argentina, currently living in Barcelona, Spain.

I'm a proud owner of a Blackstar HT40, which it has been my weapon of choice amp from the last 3 and a half years, but I have a little bug on me, since the lead singer of my band fell in love with this amp, and wants to buy it from me. I agreed, since I think the HT-40 is too much of a vintage amp to play Hardcore/Crossover Thrash metal, it's more of a Rock oriented amp.

With the money I'm being paid for this amp, I was wondering if an ID Series will be a safe choice. Why? Because I don't want to have a valve amp (requires too much maintenance, and I'm a lazy mofo) and besides, I like to have several tone options, which apparently the ID Series has, so it fits my requirements.

Questions are:

1) Does this really behave good in a gig volume-wise? I have an extremely loud drummer (he's a machinegun drummer, you can imagine because of the style played)

2) Not planning on buying a head + cabinet, so I'd like to know if ID60 or ID260 will do the job

3) Is it better to have this, or another metal-oriented tube amp? Be honest in this one, so far most of the people told me that the tones in this amp are insane, but they rather have a tube amp instead.

Sorry for being soooo extense, thanks in advance for the help choosing my new amp!!! :)

JohnBNY

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:29 pm

I have a HT100 and an ID60. I use the HT for gigging and ID60 as a practice amp. While I do think the ID is a great sounding amp, at loud volumes, I don't think it can maintain the same quality tone that you get with the HT. Just my 2 cents.

jds22

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

JohnBNY wrote:I have a HT100 and an ID60. I use the HT for gigging and ID60 as a practice amp. While I do think the ID is a great sounding amp, at loud volumes, I don't think it can maintain the same quality tone that you get with the HT. Just my 2 cents.
I tend to agree. I have the ID260 and it can get insanely loud but there is just something missing at that volume compared to an all tube amp.

I know this is a Blackstar forum but after reading your post the first thing that came to mind was a Peavey 5150/6505. Even the 6505 112 is pretty freakin loud and sounds great when pushed.

Good luck with your search.

SpaceLuke

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for your replies guys!

In this case money is indeed an issue (Spanish crisis, y'know?) and my budget is no further than 550 Euro.

I was also considering the Bugera 333xl or the 6262 valve combo... But you know what they say about Bugera... though I can't stop hearing that the new ones are great (the Infinum series I mean)

Guess is all in the trying, so I may try several amps in the budget and decide which is best, (perhaps I might not even sell the HT40 so...)

jds22

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:30 pm

There's also nothing wrong with using a OD/Dist pedal in front of the HT40.

There are so many flavors of OD/Dist pedals these days I'm sure you could find one that suits your needs.

SpaceLuke

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Pedals are out of the question. I tried Distortion pedals, Overdrives of all kinds and spent a lot of money on stompboxes that sounded great in the store, but not that good in the rehearsal or gig. From Carl Martin's DCDrive to MXR Fullbore metal, OCD by Fulltone, Berserker Overdrive, and even a Boss DynaDrive. I run everything through a GLab GSC2 system, and it sounds good, but not great.

Besides, I won't be having the HT40 anymore, that's why I ask if the ID260 can be used at gigs (small venues mostly, and all gigs will be through a PA, that's for sure) I know it sounds great, since I tried a ID60 at my local store, and fell in love with the OD1 throught the valve emulation of the KT88... What bothers me is that since this is a solid state amp, it will have the power to gig alongside the other guitar in my band who has a 60W Line6 SpiderValve, which can't be put more than 4-5 level of volume because it's really loud. (in comparison is louder than my HT40)

I know, I'm a pain in the ass, sorry to bother you all, it's just that I have a 500€ budget to get a decent amp and I want to be extremely sure on what to buy.

Thanks again guys for all the replies

jds22

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Not a pain at all. We guitarists are a picky bunch.
I suggested the OD pedal because at the end one of your replies you said you might not be selling the HT.

Were you able to crank the ID60 in the store? If possible, I'd go back and explain your concerns and ask them if you could blast it for a minute or two.

SpaceLuke

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm

jds22 wrote:Not a pain at all. We guitarists are a picky bunch.
I suggested the OD pedal because at the end one of your replies you said you might not be selling the HT.

Were you able to crank the ID60 in the store? If possible, I'd go back and explain your concerns and ask them if you could blast it for a minute or two.
I spent over an hour with that amp, didn't have the chance to crank it up to a decent volume since they had a few customers buying and I didn' want to bother them with my lousy playing hehe but I'll make sure to go back and do an extensive test of it because I live how it sounds... Even better I will put an ht40 they have right next to the ID60 and try them both as a comparison to check it out more deeply :D

JohnBNY

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:35 pm

To be clear, I think an ID60 amp would be perfectly fine to gig with. My prior comment was in response to your question as to whether the HT would sound better than the ID in a gigging situation. Good luck.

SpaceLuke

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 pm

JohnBNY wrote:To be clear, I think an ID60 amp would be perfectly fine to gig with. My prior comment was in response to your question as to whether the HT would sound better than the ID in a gigging situation. Good luck.
Thanks mate. Anywat it will always be sent through PA and also, it'll be always distorted sound... I barely use cleans so...

Thanks a lot for your help. Once I have a decision I will post it here ;)

• Information