Effects pedals with ID amp

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
Jim Belaye

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:15 am

I am curious, do you use pedals with your ID series amp ?
If so, what kind of effects do you use ?

I know that you can produce excellent tones with only the amp and on board effects.
I mean, the clean sounds for playing Blues are pretty good with a little spring reverb.

I also like to play a lot of Pink Floyd, Gilmour is my guitar God. (also SRV and BB king)
So, I was wondering if I could add a compressor (CS-3) for more sustain.
Maybe a good overdrive/distortion. With Pod Farm (line6) I did some pretty good setups with a CS.
The Boss compressor is an important ingredient for the tone. (CS-2 or CS-3)

Anybody using a Compression Sustainer Pedal with his ID amp ?
What about an Overdrive, Distortion or Fuzz ? Maybe a Boss BD-2, is it a good choice ?

Please share your experience... :)

Highland Star

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

i use a Barber Tone Press compressor with my ID 260 and it works brilliantly together. I also use a wah which again works well with this amp. Dont need anything else as the built in effects are excellent. Only other one I use is an inline tuner to replace the rubbish Blackstar excuse for one.

Jim Belaye

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Thank you Highland Star 8-)

So that's what I thought, a compressor/sustainer is a good fit with an ID amp.
I am going to try different models, I am tempted to go for a Boss CS-3 or MXR Dyna Comp.

I agree the tuner is very bad indeed. It should be fixed with the next update or upgrade.

Madimax

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Jim! Im using the CS-3 between the guitar and the amp. I have used this pedal for many years with different amps and could not be without it. I have modded it so it sounds even better with the CS-3 Opto Mod from http://www.monteallums.com.

Kind regards Peter from Sweden :P

Jim Belaye

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 am

Thank you Madimax.
Yes, I think Boss CS-3 is the way to go for me.

Kind Regards from Canada 8-)

random

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm trying NOT to use any pedals. For me, one of the points of having an ID is the "one piece plus footswitch" goodness: portability, ease of use and setup, and a compact footprint.

That said, front-end compression (before any distortion) is one big thing missing from these amps. They can compress when overdriven, but much less so clean or semi-dirty, and those are very common places for me to hang out.

The last compression pedal I had was a DynaComp, but I don't have it any more. My other amps (at the moment anyway) are a CyberTwin I've had for years, which has crude but surprisingly useful compression built in, and a used H & K Switchblade 50 combo I'm deciding whether to keep (same for my new ID 60), which doesn't have separately controllable compression, but squashes wonderfully when pushed, even fairly clean.

I'm hoping I decide my ID can live without a pedal, if I keep it; jury's still out on both questions.

jerry

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:54 pm

hi new guy here,,just wanted to say i use a wampler ego comp with my id 30 and it sounds great :)

Jim Belaye

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 pm

I finally went for a Boss CS-3 and it sounds pretty good with my ID amp.
Now, I am tempted by a Nano Big Muff PI, to get that David Gilmour tone.

schmokes

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:04 am

I'm actually running a full pedal board in front of my ID60. One of the things that drew me to the amp was that it took pedals so well. I've got a whammy, way, compressor, phaser and a couple of dirt pedals running in front of mine. I use the reverb/delay from the amp.

jerry

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 pm

just thought i wd pass this on,i bought the id 30 to replace my blues jr, my pedal setup is a wampler ego comp,mxr od 2 istomp a digi hardwire chourses a mxr carbon copy,,the blues jr sounds great with this,just for fun i hooked it up to the id,and get almost the same sound,it seemed to take the pedals just fine no noise,,,but am going to get rid of the pedals and just run the ego comp with the id,but i do like my carbon copy better then the id delay

• Information