Footswitch and preset strategies for gigs and jamming

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
CuztardPi

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm

random wrote: Software to save and load setups would also make it easier to have completely different setups for my two amps, should look into that too.
As I mentioned, I use Ed Dixon's Editor (free) which works well & is fairly intuitive. There are other editors available.

This does allow you back-up totally different set-ups as *.syx SysEx files to be loaded when needed.
See here:
http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

random

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Understood.

I'm using my midi interface with a DAW, not sure to integrate Ed's editor into an existing system with DAW software, a Focusrite 18i20, and an external keyboard. May have to quit the DAW, not too terrible.

cadblaster

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Cuztard brought up a good point about the I.D. amp and it's Midi implementation. If your using a patch that has several FX/Modulations saved, that's where the CC programming errors start to show up. For instance, program a "Clean" patch with some Delay, Chorus, and reverb. Now assign your CC commands to attempt to toggle the FX on/off........ Won't work, only 1 of the 3 CC toggles will work depending on the order/state you saved the original "Clean" patch. For that reason alone I've quit using CC commands with the I.D.

CuztardPi

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am

cadblaster wrote:Cuztard brought up a good point about the I.D. amp and it's Midi implementation. If your using a patch that has several FX/Modulations saved, that's where the CC programming errors start to show up. For instance, program a "Clean" patch with some Delay, Chorus, and reverb. Now assign your CC commands to attempt to toggle the FX on/off........ Won't work, only 1 of the 3 CC toggles will work depending on the order/state you saved the original "Clean" patch. For that reason alone I've quit using CC commands with the I.D.
Hi Cadblaster - Sorry, & somewhat surprised, to hear of your problems using the ID+FCB1010.

I don't know if it's down to the UNO chip firmware mod fixing things (compared to the original Behringer firmware), or the fact that I'm using Stompbox mode rather than simply switching between presets ?? , but I've not experienced any CC problems since getting my ID260 & FCB1010 last year. All footswitches work consistently & as intended/programmed (but maybe I just got lucky?).

All 5 presets that I use have all effects available [Modulation (3 types: Chorus & Phaser & Tremolo), Reverb (1 type) & Delay (1 type)], all switchable via the top row footswitches (stompboxes); & it works perfectly.
Last edited by CuztardPi on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cadblaster

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Cuztard, long time no hear buddy.
No problems with the Midi controller. Absolutely an issue with the amps firmware. Certain patches that have saved combinations of FX will only have partial response to the CC commands sent to them. Simple patches respond to the CC toggles/commands just fine. Same response regardless of which midi controller I use (Have a rather large collection of midi controllers). Even plugged one of the controllers into my rack units and confirmed what PC/CC commands were actually being sent. I can copy and move the problem patch around, and the issues follow it.
Not a huge deal, as the I.D. is just a backup amp for my main gigging rig. Was just hoping I could program it with a similar layout to my main rack & controller, so that I could swap complete rigs if I have a problem during a show.

The KIDD

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 am

Hey Gang,

Ive had my ID:60 for a week now and gettin pretty comfortable with the FS-10. I do a solo gig of 50s -90s material with my own backing tracks so being able to switch presets on the fly is most important. I would fit into your C category by having a bank of 4 presets for switching per song. Some banks will handle extremes like needing a warm chorusy rhythm but an OD or Crunched lead all ready to go. Ill have a "50s" bank for clean bright delay and verb choices. Prolly 3-4 High gain banks for 60's 70's 80s tunes who's parts stay with an OD setting , then 3-5 banks for mixed Crunchy/Clean for CCR/Eagles/ Doobies/90s Country etc kinda stuff. Heck, with 32 banks and 167 tunes, there should be a bank that all tunes will fit into by the time Im done.. 8-) ..Yeah, I tried giggin with an RP250 and half my break was gone before I hit the right preset :lol: so this thing is gonna be alife saver for sure!!!!! Im SO GLAD its seamless (no clicks)switching in Patch Mode.That woulda been a deal breaker for me....

KIDD
www.youtube.com/JOHNKUHNMUSIC

frettfreak

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a PC program to edit my Midi mate with. Have have zero experience programming midi, but know my way around a computer.

thanks

cadblaster

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 am

frettfreak wrote:Looking for a recommendation for a PC program to edit my Midi mate with. Have have zero experience programming midi, but know my way around a computer.

thanks
Frettfreak, there isn't a PC program for the Midi Mate controller. It isn't needed. You program your amp presets thru the amp or using "Insider". The midi controller just sends a signal telling the amp which preset to switch too. Assuming default mode, button 1 will call up preset 1, 2/2, 3/3 etc. Just use "insider" to move patches around to the pedal # you want. There are some advanced features such as "Midi Mapping", where you can program the controller to call up "any" patch to "any" button #. (I.E. button #1, can call up patch #39), but as stated, most situations use insider to move things where you need them.

For specific functions, (CC commands to toggle things on/off etc.) You'll need to put the Midimate in edit mode and assign the desired button a CC # to send when it's pushed. CC commands available are listed in the ID amp instructions. Very easy on the Midimate.

Play with it in small steps. Your head with start to explode when you begin to realize all the possibilities you have with midi. :mrgreen:

frettfreak

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

wow.. yup. I feel pretty dumb at the moment! I dont know why but i assumed i would have to tell it what i wanted it to do! Man, thats even better than i expected!!!

thanks!

frettfreak

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:59 am

cadblaster wrote:
For specific functions, (CC commands to toggle things on/off etc.) You'll need to put the Midimate in edit mode and assign the desired button a CC # to send when it's pushed. CC commands available are listed in the ID amp instructions. Very easy on the Midimate.

Play with it in small steps. Your head with start to explode when you begin to realize all the possibilities you have with midi. :mrgreen:
OK, so i think i have the cc commands programmed right (probably not though) but they are not working cad.

If i go into edit controller assignments, here is what i see:

BTN5 64 MODULATION ON/OFF
BTN6 13 MODULATION SELECT
BTN7 66 REVERB ON/OFF
BTN8 65 DELAY ON/OFF
BTN9 68 TAP DELAY

But when i am in controller mode, none of these buttons work.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

• Information