INSIDER 1.3.0.1 Released Today

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
MistaSnowman

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:25 pm

With all the problems between the ID Series and Insider viewed and expressed on this forum, I'd have to say that I'm turned off from this line of amps. The amps, themselves, sound amazing, but what's the use in purchasing a product when you can't use all what the product has to offer. Guess I will turn my attention to the HT-Series.

darrenjs

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 pm

I have to say all the problems brought up here are very minor and certainly don't make the software unusable.

It's easy to use and more importantly tends towards useable sounds, where other amps, Vox, I'm looking at you, lead you to extreme, but pointless settings.

The ability to share patches is fabulous, and the ease of setting, storing and saving sounds is superb.

I've never actually come up against any of the niggles myself.

Apart from the tuner, but I've never seen a good tuner on an amp.

wishbone

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Having read a lot of the posts on niggles with the ID series I still bought my ID260. I didnt buy it for the tuner, got two good ones already!! It is the sounds I can get without having three or four pedals on the floor in front of me.
As far as the software it aint no different with any software; updates appear fix somethings make others worse ( thinking microsoft and others here) so it works and pretty well which is a bonus.
I understand others will have real problems with some bits of this new line but when a high end pedal costs the same as amps of this quality you need to have a bit of perspective.
I have had twin reverbs, Orange 120 Graphic, Peavey deuce and more recently used an Orange Tiny Terror and a Wharfedale/Albion TCT35.
This amp nails some of those sounds and weighs a lot less so works for me but any worthwhile updates are always welcome.
This is my first Blackstar and if its still working in a few years time wont be changing back to any of the others.

cadblaster

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 pm

darrenjs wrote:I have to say all the problems brought up here are very minor and certainly don't make the software unusable.

It's easy to use and more importantly tends towards useable sounds, where other amps, Vox, I'm looking at you, lead you to extreme, but pointless settings.

The ability to share patches is fabulous, and the ease of setting, storing and saving sounds is superb.

I've never actually come up against any of the niggles myself.
Afraid I have to disagree with you guy's on it only being small problems. Once you start playing with the Midi, which is controlled by the amp firmware, (not insider) it's a bit different. The issues make themselves glaringly apparent as as you start trying to call up saved patches in a gigging environment. Soon as you use commands to toggle delay's, Modulations etc. on/off in the middle of song things fall apart quickly. You can't even edit& resave a patch via midi on stage with the firmware bugs......

The amp sounds great, and the FX is great, but if you can't control it on stage,,, it's just a bedroom amp. :mrgreen:

wishbone

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Cant really disagree Cadblaster, but as someone who has never used midi and probably never will, I guess I cant understand your problem.
But It aint gonna be a bedroom amp for me? will be using with the FS10 pedal but suppose I should shut up until I get some serious time in rehearsal or gig.
Maybe I will be back cursing as well??
But at moment happy with sounds and switchability with pedal although would like names rather than numbers on screen but??

myk.robinson

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:34 pm

wishbone, its definitely a great amp and will hold its on in a live setting. The frustration from many of us simply comes from the fact that almost one calendar year ago, a firmware update was brought up on this forum to address some minor issues.

Some of those minor issues that folks are complaining about is a tuner that works 100% (granted, no one buys an amp for a tuner, by why include one at all if its flaky), better MIDI control (i don't use MIDI either, but for those who do, this is a BIG deal. Why include MIDI capability and cripple it?), better recording through USB (ASIO, perhaps?), and reduced noise floor over all (the amp has a very audible "hiss" even on clean channels at low volumes). These things are likely all fixable through firmware updates. Heck, they released an update shortly after the amp was released that allowed you to configure what the ports on the back do so you can switch from emulated out to an effects loop. To me, this say that this amp has much deeper capabilities than we realized.

So, yeah, i think the main complain is not so much an issue of amp function, but more an issue of why say you're going to do something, then go silent for a year, only to release another amp in the same line (ID:CORE) without addressing community concerns from the previous release?

That said, I still love my ID:260TVP, and my HT1R, and my HT-5TH (had to get rid of my HT Stage 60... too heavy) and still enjoy Blackstar products. I have never had any personal issues with customer service, provided I contacted them directly and not through the forum. But it's bothersome when an authorized and official representative keeps saying that something is coming and almost a year later we're still waiting.... When we all saw the new Insider release, I think its safe to say we all expected firmware to be updated with it.

Highland Star

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Well said Myk. I agree with all you said there. I do think Blackstar will suffer repercussions though, an example is today I told my friend about the new core series as he loves my 260 but wanted someting a lot smaller, he said. Quote.....nope, I wont give my money to a company who only wants to make money and ignore their paying customers, I would rather pay more for genuine customer service !

darrenjs

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm

I see Line 6's new amp has editing software for Android and iOS, as well as PC and Mac.

Missing a trick people.

:roll:

Highland Star

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I honestly wouldnt put Line 6 and Blackstar in the same sentence.

myk.robinson

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Highland Star wrote:I honestly wouldnt put Line 6 and Blackstar in the same sentence.
I read this and was looking for a "LIKE" button from facebook ;)

• Information