ID:30 loud enough to gig?

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
Breezy

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before, but I couldn't see it.

I'm already sold on the ID series and planning on buying one of them, but not sure whether to get the 30 or 60 watt combo.

I've been read reviews of the ID:30 saying that it's loud enough to do small gigs with, and I only play occasional gigs so it would mostly be used for home/rehearsal. Does anyone have experience of using one live?

I play heavy/alternative rock so the obvious choice would be the 60, I know, but I live in a city so most venues I've played in don't have parking so the load in/out can be a pain. On one occasion I brought my rig home on the bus!

I'd welcome you're feedback.

myk.robinson

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Tough call to make without having more information about venues and other instrumentation, but if your primary concern is budget, you can always mic the amp or use the emulated output and use the PA to provide the volume boost you might need.

otter5555

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 am

i gig my 15 and 30 every weekend. i cant tell any difference in volume between the 2 amps. i also cant tell any difference between the 10 and 12" speakers. both have a nice full sound and i have to roll the bass off both.
i play small rooms that seat up to 50
i never run either amp over 50% and i play 80's hair band stuff
plus satch / via instrumentals

these small amps are LOUD :)

Breezy

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 am

Thank you both.

Sorry more info would've helped wouldn't it? It's only occasional gigs in pubs and the odd small hall, and most of the larger venues have PA with a sound eng so micing is possible which is what I prefer anyway.

The band is drummer, other guitarist, vocals and sometimes bass player.

I like the idea of a small/lightweight amp (I noticed the 30 is 5kg lighter) but don't want to find that I'm drowned-out on the small gigs where I'm not miced up, even if the master volume is maxed-out. It's not the sort of thing you can really test for when trying one out in a shop! Good to know that it can be done though (thanks Otter5555).

Papalazarou

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 am

it's gonna depend on how hard your drummer hits mate,I've gigged my 15 in a full band with no trouble ,but that was with a drummer who knows not to beat the sh*t out the his drums all night.

I have no experience with either the 30 watt or 60 id amps other than when I bought my 15 I tried the 30 too & like stated before there was no real difference in sound.

having said that ,if you can afford it go with the 60 as it will have all the power you will need & will have better headroom & it's not too heavy either :)

Breezy

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks again. The drummer in our band is pretty heavy handed. Hmmm maybe the 60....

I suppose the inverted question is can you use the 60 watt for home practice at sane volumes and still get a decent tone out of it?

random

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Define sane, and how that's relevant ;)

But yes, I use my 60 at home, like it a lot, and relative to an awful lot of players, I think I never play Loud ever. IMO though, it does sound better if it's not *really* quiet. Fletcher-Munson is in play there too, not just the amp, as well as the simple relationship of amp sound to any other sounds in the room.

For me, I think the 60 is a great place to be. Has the extra controls, reasonable balance between power and size/weight, and though I haven't played out or jammed with anyone since I got it, I'm pretty sure it'd be fine at any volume I'm ok with myself. YMMV of course.

• Information