1.4 Solutions for 2 out of 3 issues on Windows

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
jpettit

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:20 am

I installed 1.4 from within 1.3 and it installed and updated the firmware on the amp to 1.4 as well.
All worked fine for several weeks (with the exception of no advertised ASIO driver as mentioned in another thread), but today it opens the splash screen says initializing... and closes. No Insider.
A re-install does not fix the issues.
Anyone else seen this?

Win 7 64 bit system. USB2
Last edited by jpettit on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PhD

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:25 am

No problem here... Insider 1.4, Windows 8.1, USB 2/3.
Note though that I have ASIO4ALL on my notebook.... but can this be a cure?? No idea.
Cheers and good luck

xsefiroth

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Try to clear registry may help fix :)

bclarke675

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Make sure that your Windows Updates are done, especially .NET 4.5 updates.
Also Adobe Flash updates in Internet Explorer.

tommytiptree

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Insider works fine, then today would not open. Have reinstalled but still wont open. All my software is up to date. Have done a system restore but that does not fix the problem. Even re-installing the previous version of insider does not work. This has left me with a problem as I need to change the settings to turn the effect loop on for a gig tomorrow.

tommytiptree

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi, discovered a workaround on the unofficial Blackstar forum which works. Use Virtualbox to create a virtual machine running your OS and run Insider on this. This works for me running XP on the VM.

jpettit

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:28 am

Removed and re-installed .net 4.5.1 Still cant open 1.4

Surprised I have heard nothing from support on this on two attept to contact them. Basically dead in the water as far as using Insider.

Glad I was able to update the amp to 1.4 firmware before loosing ability to communicate with it.

Will try installing on another machine to help in debugging it.

jpettit

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Just to be clear before I explain what I found. I previously had Insider 1.3 working fine, then updated to 1.4 and it worked fine for few weeks. Then it started to not open and reporting no errors.

I made 4 attempts to get help from support over a month but received no replies. After many re installs and attempts to get it to work I decided after not hearing from support I decided to take whatever it took in terms of time to solve the issue.

1) It was not .net 4.0 issues. I removed all .net on this machine. I then let Insider 1.4 re-install .Net 4.0. So .Net was not the Insider 1.4 closing upon opening issue. ( more on this later)
2) It was a Silverlight issue. By opening Silverlight standalone I removed the list of apps that where registered with Silverlight and after a re-install Insider 1.4, Insider open up! So it was a failure in Silverlight that was not being reported in any log, .dmp file or crash log within Insider 1.4. (Insider needs a better logging, error reporting)

Next Insider would not see the amp on the USB port even thought the system could see the ID: amp on the USB port. This was strange as it worked fine before.
1) Uninstalling and re-install the USB driver had no effect.
2) I then read on a OSX thread that Windows users had found that it needed .Net 4.5 to see the USB port. I then upgraded the .Net 4.0 that the NEW INSIDER INSTALLER just installed to 4.5.1 and the USB port was found! BE AWARE: This means the Insider 1.4 installer puts the wrong .net libraries in for you!

The last issue has still not seen any explanation.
As clearly started on the Insider Release notes: ID: Series Update
USB Audio improvements, including low-latency recording with generic ASIO drivers
USB Audio extended to 44.1k sample rate in addition to the original 48k
1) I am not seeing any ASIO capability in my DAWS nor 44.1K sample rates.
2) I did a fresh install on a fresh laptop and found no ASIO driver there either.
This has not been explained by Blackstar or even confirmed that it does/does not exist on perhaps the Mac but not Windows?
In the meantime I continue to use ASIO4All to create an ASIO connection required by many DAWS.

Hopefully this will help someone until they can make Insider /The USB interface more robust.

alin

Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 am

Hi All:

I have just got my amp and try to connect to insider through USB but I have connection problem. USB does not detect the amp. I have followed the instruction installed framework 4.5.1 and followed silverlight instructions. It does not work. Anyone can help me, I can't get blackstar to answer me.

thanks

flimbo

Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 pm

I agree with jpettit.

There is no generic ASIO capability with my DAW so I have to use ASIO4ALL.
Also 44.1k doesn't work.

Both were listed as functions in the new 1.4 Insider.

Windows 7 64bit & Xonar ST & all drivers and software up to date.

• Information