ID: series strong damping effect

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
SteveWest

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 pm

I've had a Blackstar amp for just over a year and have been very pleased with it when playing with my band. The racket the rest of them make completely hides any minor issues of noise or damping! However, when practising in a quiet room at home, I have been annoyed by the odd damping effect, to the extent of not really wanting to use the crunch/scrunch settings.

I am very pleased with this new update that seems to cure the problem. It's still early days, but so far it sounds very good.

I suspect there was some sort of bug in the modelling of the crunch/scrunch sounds, which caused some audible artefact, and the BS solution was to add the 'noise reduction' to hide it. I'd guess that fixing this was a lot more difficult than simply adding an off switch for the noise suppressor. Presumably they've now fixed the underlying problem. Excellent!

Actionman

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm in SHOCK!
2 years later and B* managed to give their customers exactly what they asked for.
Bravo B* and sorry for all the hard times I gave you...we always hurt the ones we love :)
Can't wait to install it!

Honk

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:27 am

I can't believe it. I haven't visited this thread in a while, having given up hope. With a new range of ID amps out, I thought that was it for us; no way we'd see resolution, all support would be focused on the new range.

Updated the firmware on my ID:60 head today to see if it would fix USB playback (play a backing track from a laptop through the amp's USB port.) Nope! But I could tell that the noise floor was much lower, and wait a minute, notes were fading away naturally! What? I dared to try a couple of the old damping/pumping tests, then came straight here to find out if I was crazy.

It's such fun to finally play it like a real amp. I can even roll back the guitar's volume and still retain dynamics and touch. Formerly this chopped the attack off, as the gate was too slow, then robbed the sustain as the signal fell below threshold. My guess is they were able to get the noise floor down to a level where they were comfortable letting us play without the gate.

Thanks to everyone who kept hassling Blackstar about this.

bdtguitar

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you all for your persistence with Blackstar on this! I got the ID:60 amp back in October and it sounded great but I thought I noticed the volume dropping out here and there. Tried to reproduce it and couldn't - because I didn't understand the problem! Then the amp went idle for a couple of months and I just started playing it again this past week and the problem was really obvious. After changing cables, using a different amp, etc. I was sure that this amp was defective.

Then I found this post and found all of you out there - and also the patch to (hopefully) fix the problem!

So thank you all for keeping the heat on these people. How they ever thought this was an acceptable quality product is beyond me.

Drew

McQ

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Just got a TVP260, first solid state modeling amp. The hiss is pretty bad, and the noise gate function is clunky, and I experience the dampening that users on this forum have fought long and hard to rectify.What version of firmware should I have, what about software version? I'd hate to buy a noise gate for this thing.... Ideas, suggestions appreciated. I am not playing loud at all, I swear, and I am not a high gain type ~ yet...
Thanks!

• Information