ID: series strong damping effect

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
cadblaster

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

Unfortunately the midi commands are listed in the Amp manual, which has not been updated. I think in the other thread it's mentioned that a new midi CC command has been added to toggle stereo on/off (#70 ?),,, which of course is not updated or listed anywhere in any manual........... :evil:

PhD

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:09 am

Jim Belaye wrote:
PhD wrote:Well they announce 1.6.0 everywhere, but their website and download is still at 1.5.0....:)
Anyway, I agree with random: at least there is a written recognition of the issue and a commitment to solve it.
That's definitely good news...
@PhD Let us know if the bug of strong damping effect has been fixed.
Me, I will check for two other bugs that are supposed to be fixed, later... 8-)
Hi, Jim... thanks to CUZTARDPI procedure, I recovered my "Invalid Amp Model" issue... Pffff....
Still, with 1.6.0, the tuner is completely out of order (unusable actually), and the damping issue is still very present. Next release maybe?..... :?

Jim Belaye

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:45 pm

@PhD Did you read this...

Blackstar INSIDER 1.6.0 Service Update
Update at 11am BST - Thurs 2nd October 2014

As many of you have reported, some problems have been identified with the 1.6.0 release of INSIDER. We sincerely thank you for your feedback and support.

Reported problems include:
· ID:Series amps reporting as "Invalid Amp Model"
· ID:Series tuner seeming less stable

At this time we do not recommend its installation.

http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk/service-update.php

PhD

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:37 am

to Jim Belaye:

sure did..; but it was published AFTER we found out it was not usable...:) Fortunately, thanks to the procedure, I could recover the "amp" model which is now correct. Still, my amp has 1.6.0 which is significantly flaky...

mark.worley

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Sorry to say but as of 1.6.2 the original problem listed in this thread has not been fixed.

<quote>
There wasn’t any change in 1.6.2 on preamp voicings, this was simply bug fixes from 1.6- as I explained in my previous email it is unfortunately not possible to provide a date for resolution, it has been communicated to our INSIDER team and they are aware and looking into it- but it is on a list of issues they are working on so may take some time to implement, we appreciate your patience around this.
</quote>

Paddy1664

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:27 pm

I recently bought a 260tvp and I noticed notes being cut short rather than fading to nothing as the note dies it gets to a certain point then the signal drops out

Admin
Site Admin

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 am

Hi Paddy,

This sounds like the noise gate that is present on the OD1 and OD2 channels, its purpose is to reduce excess noise and feedback when playing on high gain settings. Essentially this feature cuts out any sound below a certain threshold, so when you are playing on low gain and sustaining a note this note will eventually drop below the threshold level and be filtered out.

If you do not wish to use this feature you can turn off the noise gate via the INSIDER software, simply connect the amp up via USB, go to the settings menu and set the noise gate to 'OFF'.

Hope this helps.

Blackstar support,

Adam.1981

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 pm

I am having the same issues with my ID:60 TVP. Crunch/Super Crunch only, harsh noise gate effect next to no note decay even with medium strumming. Use a standard Fender USA Strat, have been playing for 20+ years in bands with many different amps and guitars (fairly experienced). Here's blackstar's response to me after explaining the amp was unusable and up for sale... !?!
................................................................................
Thanks for getting in contact.

Very sorry to hear you feel this way, from what you have described I believe you are referring to a characteristic of the noise dampening section of the preamp- this is an integral and very necessary part in shaping the tone of these channels and reducing noise generated by the preamplifier stage, the vast majority of ID:Series users have no issues of this nature and have been very pleased with these products. If you are experiencing a rapid note decay from the preamp it is likely as a result of the guitar volume being set very low, if this volume is increased the note will have a far longer sustain.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
.......................................................................................
So apparently it's the Strat volume set too low? :lol: Come on Blackstar, sort it out - your reputation is diminishing, don't become another solid state modelling failure.

patrick2099

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Adam.1981 wrote:I am having the same issues with my ID:60 TVP. Crunch/Super Crunch only, harsh noise gate effect next to no note decay even with medium strumming. Use a standard Fender USA Strat, have been playing for 20+ years in bands with many different amps and guitars (fairly experienced). Here's blackstar's response to me after explaining the amp was unusable and up for sale... !?!
................................................................................
Thanks for getting in contact.

Very sorry to hear you feel this way, from what you have described I believe you are referring to a characteristic of the noise dampening section of the preamp- this is an integral and very necessary part in shaping the tone of these channels and reducing noise generated by the preamplifier stage, the vast majority of ID:Series users have no issues of this nature and have been very pleased with these products. If you are experiencing a rapid note decay from the preamp it is likely as a result of the guitar volume being set very low, if this volume is increased the note will have a far longer sustain.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
.......................................................................................
So apparently it's the Strat volume set too low? :lol: Come on Blackstar, sort it out - your reputation is diminishing, don't become another solid state modelling failure.
One of the reasons I bought this amp is how you could lower the volume, to clean it up, like a tube amp. I extensively tested this in the store, before I bought it.
If this is an "integral and very necessary part in shaping the tone", does that mean the model I tested in the store, that sounded much better, was defective? I wish I would have either taken the floor model or at the very least checked mine before I updated the firmware. I am afraid that it is a hardware issue, and not software, and this is why they are being so deceptive.

Actionman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:40 pm

patrick2099 wrote: I am afraid that it is a hardware issue, and not software, and this is why they are being so deceptive.
I agree 100%!
I'm guessing a factory hardware recall would be costly.
Doing the right thing and biting the bullet is probably not going to happen.
I look at it this way, if B* acknowledges the issue and follows through they'll have a customer base for ever.
If they don't, this product line will slowly lose it's market share and fall to the way side along with the customer.
I'm not holding my breathe on this but am hopeful they hire a talented DSP programmer to somehow miraculously create a software hack to fix the issues many of us have.

• Information