ID: series strong damping effect

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
Jim Belaye

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 pm

PhD wrote: Hi. Been a long time. Here is my feeling about all this.
4. there is a need for B* to hire/use a GOOD DPS programmer to remove the bug(s) in the firmware.
5. the damping occurs ONLY on crunch and super crunch FORTUNATELY, so it remains possible to use the OD1 or OD2 with a very low gain... but personally, I use the clean channels with an external pedal.

Sad and disappointing, I HOPE B* will one day realize the need for a corrective action.
Like you PhD, I only use the two clean channels with pedals. I have a noise suppressor on my pedalboard.
I don't need the one on the amp. I am happy with this setup but we should have control of the noise gate.
Also, I try to use the Insider software only when I really need it. Insider is another disappointment.

frama78

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Is there a solution to get rid of the dampening that´s caused besides the switchable noisegate?

I really like the chrunch and super crunch modes , but since I use my volume knob pretty much to lower the gain, I just doesn´t work. That "cutting off" of the tone is pretty annoying.

I don´t see any reasons to use the clean channel and use pedals. come on... for me, this is nuts! Yes. the clean is ok, but I want to use the amp as designed: as a programmable, switchable amp with effects; specially known for the dirty tones.

I´d rather use one of my real tube amps when i´m "forced" to use external periphery.

So, will there be a software update, or do i have to sell my ID30 . that would be pretty sad, beacause the amps sounds, weight and effects are great for the bucks

patrick2099

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm

mark.worley wrote:This is the latest response I've had:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your patience regarding this, and apologies for the delay.

We’re working with our Digital team to bring a resolution to the situation, which we hope to update you with in the coming days.

Again, thank you for your continued patience.

Kind Regards,
I am wondering if the regular Core line has been abandoned. I see updates for the Beam and the High Power, but can't remember the last Core firmware update.

sinbaadi

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:13 pm

I really don't understand the laissez-faire attitude to the customers when you have a forum such as this encouraging them to complain!

It's incredibly short-sighted to ignore something so specific and so common. I hope there are people at Blackstar who at the very least feel too ashamed to come and read this thread.

Clearly we should abandon all hope, unless someone is clever enough to write a custom firmware for the thing.

Too bad, Blackstar. I'm sure I won't be the only one that won't want a repeat of this with another "BS" product down the line.

Actionman

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:32 pm

After 35,643 views and a 135 replies B* still doesn't even acknowledge this thread.

mark.worley

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:14 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that Blackstar 'may' release a new firmware update that 'may' fix this strong damping effect problem. I was very fortunate to have spent a couple of hours on a Skype sessions with Blackstar's head dsp programmer... I was very impressed to say the least... Thank you again to Tom and Dan...

Actionman

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:00 pm

mark.worley wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Blackstar 'may' release a new firmware update that 'may' fix this strong damping effect problem. I was very fortunate to have spent a couple of hours on a Skype sessions with Blackstar's head dsp programmer... I was very impressed to say the least... Thank you again to Tom and Dan...
Lot's of "may" but hope is not so bad...lol
Would love to see what can be done but somehow I think peoples expectations are too high.
Even now with the soft gate they have on the 2 Crunch settings, the noise floor is substantial when the gain is pushed so I can image this will only be worse but we'll see.

mark.worley

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:11 am

My sneaking suspicions were proved correct:
Blackstar Insider v1.8.0: "New ID:Series firmware with improved noise performance and the option to fully disable noise reduction"
Can't wait to get home, install it, and see what it's like!

mark.worley

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:52 am

I, for one, am very pleased with v1.8.0. You can turn off the noise gate altogether in both the crunch and super crunch voices. They now respond to playing dynamics exactly as they should.
Well done Blackstar! Thank you!

PhD

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 pm

I installed the 1.8.0, at first with some "invalid amp" issue, but fortunately, restarting the amp and the PC resumed installation of firmware. It is now up and running, and damned I'm glad it is finally solved. The two crunch sets work just fine, with noise gate off! It confirms what I said: it was definitely a sofware issue. I reported this on may 14th, 2014, so it took BS 2.5 years to handle it.... Pity, but better late than never I think... At least my ID60 is now fully operational. Thanks, BS... about time! :)

• Information