About the ID SERIES "Bottom End" thread

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
JohnBNY

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I have not switched the speaker in my ID60, but I die swap out the Celestion 70/80s in my 4x12 cab with the Celestion k-100a. I drive that cab with a HT100, and I absolutely the mid and bass response. It completely eliminated the high chimy tone on the clean channel, and provides the low end drive that I love with a little bit of gain.

Separately, I swapped out the speakers in a Marshall 4x12 cab and threw in WGS ET65s. I drive this cab with a Marshall JVM. These speakers are warmer and provide a nice full range tone. The only downside I noticed was that they are not nearly as loud as the K-100s, and I found them to have trouble cutting through when playing with my full band.

While I have not replaced the speaker in my ID, only because it's my practice amp and I only play at low volumes on my own when learning new songs, I have to believe you'll improve the tone by sticking in a better speaker.

fisz

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 pm

this is my 5cent.
when i start using BBE sonic maximizer ( new stomp box version) in the effects loop( must be activated through insider) its not the same amp anymore its like somebody take cover out from my amp.100% happy now and there is bottom end.
i am also using boss gt100 in effects loop for effects only and channell switching by midi ,working great but there is no way to store patch above 12 using midi command so i need to disconnect midi cable ,connect fs10 blackstar foot switch, make some adjustment ,save patch ,reconect midi....its not comfortable when you play different pubs and want change something on the fly. anyway i am waiting for new speakers so probably will be 150% happy.
peoples , bbe sonic maximizer in effect loop and all id users will be surprised

cadblaster

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 pm

fisz wrote: i am also using boss gt100 in effects loop for effects only and channell switching by midi ,working great but there is no way to store patch above 12 using midi command so i need to disconnect midi cable ,connect fs10 blackstar foot switch, make some adjustment ,save patch ,reconect midi....its not comfortable when you play different pubs and want change something on the fly.
This has been fixed. Blackstar added a midi command to save patches. It's CC 119
They haven't updated the manuals yet, but it's there and it works.

fisz

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm

hi. anyone using boss gt100 with id series amp?
how i can send midi command CC 119 on boss gt100 to save patch above 12.i am new to midi world i checked boss manual and there is program change 0-127 but CC is 0-95
i am confuse

cadblaster

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:13 pm

fisz wrote:hi. anyone using boss gt100 with id series amp?
how i can send midi command CC 119 on boss gt100 to save patch above 12.i am new to midi world i checked boss manual and there is program change 0-127 but CC is 0-95
i am confuse
Looking over the manual,, I can't see where the gt100 can send CC messages at all. At least not have one of the buttons assigned to send one. Best I can tell it can only generate CC messages/values via it's expression pedals, which doesn't help much.

random

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

MIDI continuous controller messages contain two pieces of info, the controller number (which controller it is), and the value (the actual setting of that controller).

The range of controller numbers is 0 - 127. Some have specific standard names and uses (for example controller #1 is mod wheel), but there's a range of them that are open for any use you or a gear manufacturer chooses. Here's a decent rundown of them: http://www.ccarh.org/courses/253/handout/controllers/

Any controller, standard or not, can have a value in the range 0-127.

So the upshot of all this is that both controller number and value actually range from 0 to 127. If that pedal (not familiar with it) has some further limitation, it's their own idiosyncratic implementation, bordering on a bug.

Another fairly likely possibility is that it's a documentation bug, and it really works as expected. I'd suggest trying it yourself if you haven't.

floorpuncher

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I know this has been inactive for a couple of months but I wanted to breathe some new life into it in the hopes that Blackstar will recognize a recurring issue and do something about it in a future update. I recently bought an ID:100 to use in conjunction with my Mesa recto 4x12 cab. I play guitar in a death metal band. Needless to say, we use high gain and we tune down very low (8 string guitar, EAEADGBe). I have been using a Line 6 Spider IV for the past two years and it has done me well until it started cutting out in the middle of songs. For the most part, I am very happy with the ID:100. The tones are solid, the effects are top notch, and the choices are many. The largest problem I am having is the lack of that low end punch that I grew accustomed to with my Line 6. I’ve read others compare it to having a high pass run across the overall sound and this is spot on. I’ve spent a significant amount of time over the last two weeks or so working with my new setup, sculpting the tone, adding and removing various pedals, changing the order of my chain, etc., but I’ve come up empty on attaining that low end punch. I’ve read in this thread about adding a Sonic Maximizer to your effects chain to help get that punch. I’m not opposed to this, but at the same time, I’m wondering how many pedals I need to add to my chain to add a little more bottom end when it seems to me that it could be as easy as adjusting this in a firmware update in the near future. I realize not everyone wants that punch, but with as versatile as this amp is already, adding a little more bottom end, making the bass EQ pot a little more aggressive would only add to the versatility and give people the option. Granted, I’m not an engineer so I’m not sure what goes into software/firmware updates, but I can’t imagine it’s outside the realm of possibility.

icarusi

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:00 am

I'm guessing that BS don't implement much low end because it takes more power to produce and effectively limits how much TVP is available. They seem to set the eq so you can't get a *bad* sound, *bad* being outside what they prefer. That's ok but we're big boys too and they can let us off the training wheels (via insider) and let us set up some 'bad' sounds and we in turn won't complain about less overall TVP output, will we.

Alternatively they could be emulating the valve version of their eq and the ISF may limit how extreme that can go. No reason why the ID range should follow suit though.

BTW has anyone seen any eq data like which frequencies the eq works on, and how many dBs cut and boost. Again we're big boys, treat us like adults. Ditto fx loop in/out spec.

sir riff a lot

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:48 am

Im Playing mild rock covers most of the time , Id never noticed any lack of bottom end with my ID60 head.

But I had a Metallica tribute band gig recently , and could not dial in as much bass as I would have liked.
Don't get me wrong it still sounded great , but I would have liked a bit more low end chunk.

Id say an eq pedal in the loop would help , but I haven't activated my loop yet , so wasn't able to try it.

Doemandoil

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:06 pm

nice post... very informative

• Information