About the ID SERIES "Bottom End" thread

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
The KIDD

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey Gang,

I responded to the old "ID: 260 lacking bottom end" thread some time ago sayin that my ID:60 had the same problem. The Bass pot hardly has any effect at on a SC bridge pup...Didnt notice it at first because the amp stayed in a small studio the first 3 months I had it but since Ive play out , its a real prob... Now, I dont do the "firm ware update" thang because I never plan to use a computer with the amp and honestly dont read those threads BUT, I AM curious if there has been any kinda of update that will give the amp more bottom end? If so, does it actually make the change inside the amp itself?...

Thanks,
The KIDD

https://www.youtube.com/JOHNKUHNMUSIC

PhD

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi. I use the ID:60 frequently in rehearsal as well as live gigs (around 60 to 200 persons attending). I do not have a problem with bottom end. But I use the RESONANCE and PRESENCE to compensate (RESONANCE up, at 3 o'clock, PRESENCE down, at 9 o'clock) and this provides a well balanced sound (but sound perception is of course very personal). Those 2 setups are NOT stored in the patches, so I adapt slightly depending on the room type... My few cents.. Good luck.

The KIDD

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Hey , thanks for the reply..Yeah, Ive moved the res and pres around alot and all the res really seems to do is color the low mid feqs already present.Doesnt really "add" bottom like 150-315 HZ. With my pups, it gets real "boxy" soundin when I go up that high on the res... Heck,I MAY have that crunch/ super crunch prob alot Cats are talkin about???..The "Crunch" is where I REALLY notice it...I get better results overdrivin the Clean/Warm setting...This amp is NOT forgiving either. Little tiny movements between Gain and Vol make a heck of a difference. I HATE that nasty KT66 tube BUT, its got lotsa Bottom.. :lol: .Now, I like to ask ya PhD ,whats your Master VOL when playin these gigs?...Ive got all my presets set to where Im runnin about 11 o'clock on the Master and rarely have to touch it...Thats as loud as I ever have to get. That Master is weird isnt it?...Its not an even attenuation as ya turn it up???..Seems like it needs to be 10 o'clock just to light the tubes. :!: .. Im usin those AREA 51 Dimarzio SC PUPS and they're known to be pretty bright so Im sure thats some of the prob...Need to get somebody to play a les paul through it as see what happens. Yeah, anyone else who would like to share thier Master Vol setting at Gigs please do so!. That would help me out ALOT..Im just an old Road Drummer tryin to RE invent Himself at 54 so I need all the help I can get with Amp settings.. :lol:

KIDD

PhD

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 am

Hi, Kidd.
Well I use the 12 first patches entirely, to accommodate variations from clean to solo OD and 2 in between (one "set" per 4 patches bank). I usually play with a Fender Strat (SSS) with 3 Seymour Duncan, and a Parker NiteFly (SSH) with 3 di Marzio. For those, my setup is similar: bass at 2oclock, mid and treble at 10oclock, often using a 6L6, but not only. ISF roughly on middle. For heavy OD (solos), I use to set the guitar tone to full bass. For small gigs, my master volume is around 9oclock and 10oclock, while for larger venues, I go up to 12, BUT usually my amp is reamplified on the PA (using a mike). Resonance is at 2 to 3, while Presence is at 9 to 11 (clock hours). And I'm fine with this. But it is a matter of taste and playing habits, no strict rules. One point though, I have a Gibson Nighthawk (HSH), and in "les paul" mode (humbuckers), my set up above is not good, probably due to the heavy output of the humbuckers, so I have to adapt rather drastically (less resonance mainly). Now, there is also an extreme way, it is to change the speaker...there was recently a video showing how easy it is to replace the ID:60 original speaker with a Celestion G12 (check here: http://www.guitarworld.com/how-change-s ... -amp-video). Maybe this is a way to get a more classical sound? Good luck.

The KIDD

Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:19 am

Hey Man, thanks much for that detailed reply!. As I read your #s, I could tell that all your Gain and Vol settings are likely higher than mine so I took 10 of my clean presets and took the Master down to 9:30 o'clock and tried best I could to match DB level and tone I had at 11 and I actually picked up some bottom and punch. The amp sounds alot better at lower vol levels as well. Not as "fuzzy"... I cranked it to noon and thought it turned into a HALF STACK. :lol: The OD presets are proving to be alittle trickier BUT, Im learnin alot. This amp does require some experimenting for sure. Got the RES at straight up noon then PRES at 9 for the 50s/ 60s stuff then take It back down to 0 for the 70's Rock. My Bass pot is knocked back to about where yours is now that theres more overall punch. I think I was tryin to GET punch by having it on full :idea: Got another 100 presets to change so Id better get busy. :lol:

Thanks again!
KIDD

BulldogXTRM

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 am

I changed speakers in my ID260TVP with G12-K100's and that helped a bit on the bottom end response, but it still lacks.

I thought it might be something with the TVP portion but it's not. I ran a test where I used a Line 6 POD HD500 and ran it 4 cable method and the TVP is not the problem it's the preamps section of the amp. It seems like it basically is putting a high pass shelf on the signal before sending it to the power section. It's not as bad if you use the emulated out to a PA though.

I'd like to see them update the firmware and re-EQ the preamp section or add more to the bass EQ. The mids and highs are fine.

The KIDD

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 pm

I believe your right Bulldog about high pass filtering. As you scroll through the tube settings ,you can really hear the Mid and Treble Pots doing their job. Even the ISF makes pretty drastic changes on some tubes but poor ole Mr Bass...??? He gets "Passed Over"... :lol. That woulda been GREAT for Me in the 70s cause I hated ANY bass in a guitar amp.. Bass was for BASS AMPS.. Teenagers..... :lol:.. Now, about those G12 K 100's. Did THEY make a drastic change in the amps over all tone?. Output? (seem louder?) or(take more gain to drive them?) I doubt Ill change my speaker BUT, If I hear that its gonna make it easier for me to dail in the exact sound Im lookin for "Jangly sound (VOX) for 60s stuff" and more MID drivin (less fuzz)OD for 70's stuff. I might fork out the $$$ to get it. You guys, who've changed out your speakers, please share the outcome when ya get time.

Thanks,
KIDD

wishbone

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Kidd
I have just ordered a pair of Celestion V12-60, for my 260 TVP. I posted a thread earlier this week but guess the subject line confused a lot of people (Wider Stereo Effect). It started with speaker upgrade possibilities? didnt get much in way of replies other than Bulldog.
At moment it seems like not many owners have swapped speakers. I was looking at G12K-100 but they are pricey, looked at Emi Guvnors amd WGS HM75. But got the V12-60 at such a good price, thought why not.

Will post back when I get them in and give an update on sound quality etc :)

The KIDD

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Just went back and read Your's and Bulldog's threads about speaker swappin and Your wanting more spatial stereo effect. Played with a Cat in the early 80s who had a Cab on either side of the stage and the delay and chorusing were killer!. Not sure about gettin a wider field within the same Cab :?: I know Bose can create that kinda Image so???. Depending on your chosen Genre,and how loud we're each used to playin, Im sure opinions will very on whether all this speaker upgrading is really changin the amp. Dang, I dont wanna wind up like a couple of old road buddys, who change out Pups, Speakers, Tubes etc in their Marshalls and are forever never happy... :lol:.. Im too neurotic to have too many choices .. :lol: Plus, all you guys have the 260 so Ill likely not exp a Celestion swap to the degree you guys will ???. BUT, yeah, Wishbone, please report back as soon as you've had time to break those babys IN...Oh yeah, Ive been practicing here in the studio cranked up to Gig Vol with my Trx runnin the EO through a channel in the 800 W brain and I actually have to back DOWN some bass on the channel so YEAH, I agree about the EO not lacking in its bass signal...

KIDD

wishbone

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 pm

My plan was to have 2 cabs either side of stage and see if this helped stereo but my ears aint what they used to be which could impact on how I hear the new speakers :lol:
Know what you mean about changing speakers, pups and valves chasing "that" tone:
has cost me a small fortune and miles of grief from the missus but I am happy most of the time its when I aint playin or rehearsin I start thinkin which is the dangerous bit :lol:
Be back soon with my thoughts on those Celestions.

• Information