Footswitch mod ID:Core 10

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
BlackStarAddict

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:06 am

DavidGilnot wrote:I know, that ISF control really is something of nothing isn't it? Like adding a bit more water to a too strong cup of tea. I can't understand what Blackstar thought they were supplying us with there. A simple tone control would have sufficed or, if you're modding, why not add a stacked one in the same hole?
I though the ID and ID Core had modeling preamps. If they instead have SS preamps that would make it easier. You can tap into it. A modeling preamp is tuffer to get into.

DavidGilnot

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 am

I think you're right. That's where the problem probably arises. It's into the Insider software or nothing, I guess. Seems I'm going to have to start using my guitar controls!

DavidGilnot

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:06 am

Nice work. So, if I am understanding this correctly, I just need to get one part and I can solder away. But what IS that part? A two pole input jack? :?

jvpprov2416

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm

This is what I bought and used just a few days ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/371671676542?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Heres another one http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PCS-6-35mm-1-4 ... SwstxVVKwe

Whatever you get just make sure it looks like these...has all 6 legs...

1/4" 6.35mm TRS STEREO/MONO AUDIOPHILE Jack Socket PCB/PANEL

I would assume it needs to be a PCB jack. The board does say PCB on it when you open it.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (168.64 KiB) Viewed 29948 times
Last edited by jvpprov2416 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jvpprov2416

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:38 pm

The only thing I dont like about this, the nut is plastic. But I was just trying to get it as cheap as possible. Took me about 20 minutes to complete. The knobs will just pull off, put like a flat head underneath them and push up. Then you have to remove the nuts, that hold them in place, then the board has 2 phillips head screws. I did not pull the board all the way, just enough to soldier both sides. I also de-soldier the on and off switch to get those wires out of my way while I worked. When I was done I soldiered them back on. I am waiting for the footswitch now....There is no hiss no nothing. I thought maybe I would be able to hear a slight hum but nothing, so that is good. When I drilled through the plastic the front side I did not pull up and off, so that kinda is messy looking, but you cant tell with the jack in place and the nut down, so who cares right??? I wish someone would figure how to trick this amp into thinking it's and id core 20 in the software, or even a 40....If anyone has any other mods, a tone control addition let me know so I can do that also. When you take off the board, it already has a small circle spot where the jack goes. I just put my drill on it, and drilled. Heheheh, did it at like 1 am in the morning, woke up my wife...

DavidGilnot

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 am

Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time. And apologies to the wife! You were brave to go on under the hood and take the plunge. I'll definitely be giving it a go too. Thanks for sharing.

Incidentally, what would tricking this amp into being an ID Core 20 do? The footswitch was the main missing point.

As for a tone control, oh that would be sweet. I'm still bordering on opening side ports in this,

Cheers.

jvpprov2416

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Just figured out out Insider software version 1.5.0 has the controls to operate the footswitch in an ID CORE 10 amp. Here is the link to download it....http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk/downl ... v1.5.0.zip

DavidGilnot

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Have you managed to get it working yet? I've ordered my 1/4" socket already. Does it need the official Blackstar footswitch or just a generic one?

vrjunkie

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Definitive Guide To Modding Id:Core 10 For Footswitch Control

This is not a may work or something I heard about,etc. I am an electronics technician and have sucessfully done this modification and it works - FLAWLESSLY. If you follow these instructions you will get Footswitch control of your Id:Core 10 for under 30.00!

Here are the parts you need:

1. 1/4" Female TRS Stereo Panel Mount Jack. You do NOT need the printed circuit board version - this one is better and all metal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P77KZ3V/

2. Neewer Dual-Channel 2-Button Footswitch Controller. There is NO need to use the Id:Core FS-11 (although you certainly can). The Newer is all metal, quality construction, has led lights, comes with the TRS cable and works right out of the box with no modifications for 19.99! You can't buy the components for that!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072XHV913/

Instructions:

Remove the 6 screws that hold the center panel in.

Carefully remove/lift panel and flip upside down on top of the cabinet (you may have to rotate it).

Drill out the round plastic molding that is just below the power switch with 1/8 bit and then 1/4 bit. Be carefull as not to push up the vinyl face plate as you drill (IOW, go slow and maybe support the top side as you drill with a piece of stiff foam or something).

Presolder 3 small wires (~ 3" long to the 3 solder points of the jack. Make note of which lugs go to which connectors (recommend using 3 different colors to aide in identification).

Install the jack through the hole you drilled and place the thin washer topside under the nut to hide any imperfections.

Now we will solder on the AMP side.

Contrary to previous instructions here - there is no need to desolder anything or loosen the screws that hold the PCB down. You can solder from the bottom as the other side of the board is blank.

The tip connection of the plug (the solder point that makes electrical nonnection to the tip of the TRS connector) goes to the point on the PCB board marked W5.

The mid connection of the plug (the solder point that makes electrical nonnection to the mid point of the TRS connector) goes to the point on the PCB board marked W6.

The base connection of the plug (the solder point that makes electrical nonnection to the longest part of the TRS connector) goes to the point on the PCB board marked W8.

Make No connection to W7 - it is unused. Previous instructions here show 4 connections (using W7) - but this will not work (although the PCB version of the female panel jack has 6 lugs there are only 3 actual electrical connections and connecting a fourth will cause it not to work and short 2 connections together - trust me.

USE:

Assuming factory settings (can be established by holding MOD DLY REV while powering on Amp untill channel leds blink their countdown).

Now the left switch on the Neewer foot controller will toggle between Clean Bright and the Crunch channels.

The right switch will toggle the effects on and off.

I have mine set up to have clean bright with and without reverb and Crunch with and without reverb.

To make your default patch settings for these there is no need to use the Insider software, just use the footswitch switch to select the channel, then turn on what effects you want and press and hold the Manual button a couple seconds until the channel led blinks.

FYI, this part I have not tested but it is reported that the Insider software version 1.5 will recognize the Id:Core 10 as a footswitch capable amp and allow alternate looping of patches but I have not done that as I prefer the default functionality.

Happy footswitching!!!

-VRJUNKIE

• Information