Good fuzz pedals for ID series

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
jetset95

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:58 am

Hi guys, I've only seen one thread where people talk about using a Fuzz into an ID amp (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3849&p=23406&hilit=fuzz#p23406) and there Garhel talks about using it only on a clean channel or it breaks up badly.

This would seem to be the opposite advice you get for using fuzz into a tube amp (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTadBCqSKb0 for example) which is more the kind of setup I go for with my ID 30 - slightly dirty base tone which I can boost more either by switching to the super crunch channel or by kicking in some overdrive (a BD-2 or my Nova System). The one sound I can't get is the dirty fuzz classic tone from the 60's which I'd like to try and so wondered if any of you were running an ID with fuzz to get that classic Hendriz or Gilmour tone, and what pedals you're using.

Thanks, James

jetset95

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Doesn't anyone use a fuzz? I can't get that dirty fat tone with the internal channels which I can dial back with my guitar volume. I can get a great blues tone with my BD-2 which rolls of beautifully and I'd love the same with a dirtier fuzz face type pedal.

Thanks, James

Garhel

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Jetset

I thought I'd update you following the post of mine you referenced...

I've been messing around with the Big Muff Pi, and found that if I take out my TC Nova the problem I had gets much much better, so maybe a mismatch or some sort of phasing thing was going on?!?

I would recommend the Pi as a good, reasonably cheap starting point - I've found that on a clean or medium gain distortion setting on the amp it works great now, without the other pedal in the chain. If you go for too much distortion on the amp and the fuzz you can quickly just end up with mush, but this would be the same with any fuzz or distortion pedal. I think it comes down to what you are trying to achieve?...

jetset95

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Thank you Garhel. I'm trying to find a pedal that responds to my guitar volume basically. I'm having way too much fun with my BD-2 into a clean channel - when I push the gain on the BD-2 just past 12 o'clock then at full volume I have this beautiful bluesy distorted tone - when I dial my volume back to around 7 then it cleans up for rhythm and everywhere in-between. I would love to be able to do the same with a deep, dirty fuzz sound as well and the BD-2 isn't quick driven enough to get there - the Nova System is too heavy or modern with their overdrive and distortion and so a new pedal is in order. Thanks for your input. James

Jim Belaye

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 am

jetset95 wrote:Thank you Garhel. I'm trying to find a pedal that responds to my guitar volume basically. I'm having way too much fun with my BD-2 into a clean channel - when I push the gain on the BD-2 just past 12 o'clock then at full volume I have this beautiful bluesy distorted tone - when I dial my volume back to around 7 then it cleans up for rhythm and everywhere in-between. I would love to be able to do the same with a deep, dirty fuzz sound as well and the BD-2 isn't quick driven enough to get there - the Nova System is too heavy or modern with their overdrive and distortion and so a new pedal is in order. Thanks for your input. James
Hello James, it was me who did the topic on using pedals with the ID amp.

I have a conventional pedal board that I use with the two clean channels on the amp.
I do not use the four other channels. There is a problem with the Crunch channel on the ID's.
Anyway, I am a devoted Pink Floyd fan and David Gilmour is my guitar God. I also like Blues.
I could not get the Gilmour tones for the solos with the dirt channels on the amp.

In order, I have a TS-OD808 clone, Big Muff clone, Boss BD-2 and Mooer Black Secret. (ProcoRat clone)
The Mooer BS is a versatile pedal and combine with the Boss BD-2 you can dial in a very good Gilmour tone.
I also use the Muff clone with the OD-808. It sounds pretty good for the solo in Time for example.
I use the warm channel with the EL84 setting. I had to buy a Boss NS-2 to clean up the noise.
In the pre-amp, the gain is set at noon and volume all the way up. This make it sounds like a tube amp.

I use the OD to color the tone. Also to control volume and tame the fuzz and it works for me.
I don't set the fuzz to be loud. I find the sweet spot and the OD will boost the fuzz / distortion.

I hope this help. Cheers from Canada.

- Jim Belaye 8-)

• Information