Blackstar ID100 head versus Orange CR120

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
Jambocraig7

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare theses two products - Blackstar ID100 head versus Orange CR120. I am (and have been for a while) considering purchasing an ID100 head with a suitable 2x12 cab, but would love to compare with the Orange product...

Any thoughts/opinions?

Craig

Jambocraig7

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 pm

I assume that no-one has done this comparison...

myk.robinson

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I've not played the Orange CR120 personally. But I own several Blackstar Amps. I don't have the ID100, but I have the ID260TVP, which is essentially the same head at lower wattage. That said, based on my real world experience with the Blackstar product and cross referencing that with experience with other Orange products and video reviews of the CR120, the Blackstar has my vote for better sound and better versatility. I've never been perfectly pleased with the native sounds of any Orange amp I've ever played. Sure, you can add pedals, outboard EQ, etc, but the amps to me are overpriced and just don't sound that great to my ears...

I've had excellent luck with all my Blackstar products, but the one definite black mark that I see a lot of people having issue with is the Insider software. But if you treat the amp like an amp and not an app, this no longer becomes an issue ;)

Curious to see other thoughts

• Information