Is TVP Abandoned?

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
myk.robinson

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Curious...

Blackstar has come up with several new products over the past couple of years, none of which featured TVP. There was the ID Core, the ID Beam, and new HT offerings, like the HT Metal and so on.

But it seems like what I would consider one of the most innovative design ideas to hit guitar amps in a while has fallen to the wayside. Guess I was expecting to see an ID:TVP 2.0 or something, maybe some bug fixes with the Insider software, firmware updates, etc. But there seems to have been no activity with TVP.

on the flip side, I've been perfectly pleased with my ID260TVP, but since it is upgradable with regards to firmware, I guess I would have expected ongoing development to appease historical customers' concerns and to attract new users.

That said, Blackstar, what is your *unofficial* stance on TVP as of now? Has the project been abandoned, or is there something coming soon?

longi
Location: At the foot of the South Downs National Park in Blighty

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:35 pm

I don't know! There are some things that could still be improved upon like activating the effects loop in the ID15-30's and having louder delays and programmable time's as well as tap tempo for the delays. I use time specific delays and it's very difficult to achieve some of the delay sounds with tap tempo. It's even harder with no effects loop either!

Actionman

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:48 pm

I had such high hopes for the ID series and Insider like many of us.
An assumption was made by all I think that they would be actively working on the series but that never really happened. What did happen was many flawed updates and disappointing upgrades however I'm still hoping for some major software/firmware breakthrough.

McSmart

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Actionman wrote:I had such high hopes for the ID series and Insider like many of us.
An assumption was made by all I think that they would be actively working on the series but that never really happened. What did happen was many flawed updates and disappointing upgrades however I'm still hoping for some major software/firmware breakthrough.
I'm new to the TVP users group, but I fully agree that I also have the expectation that Backstar will continue work on TVP and especially the Insider software :!:

Highland Star

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:49 pm

When was the last insider update released ? Maybe this answers the question.

Bede

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 am

Highland Star wrote:When was the last insider update released ? Maybe this answers the question.
The latest version was March this year, I have no idea with what frequency upgrades are released.

Personally I hope TVP continues to be developed. Thus far it is the most convincing and flexible tube-substitute rock/blues amp I've used. I'd very much like to see solid-state thrive and hold it's own against the bottle-monsters, the technology exists even if the will can waver. Besides it's a sign of progress and ingenuity, why should vintage and traditional construction be the only arbiters of credibility and quality? FFS we're not playing lutes anymore! :shock:

Actionman

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Highland Star wrote:When was the last insider update released ? Maybe this answers the question.
Bingo!

cadblaster

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 pm

I think the real question is "When was the last amp firmware update? " . :mrgreen:
Insider is just an interface...... although mostly a useless one. :cry:

myk.robinson

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Right. I want to stress again, I LOVE my ID:260TVP, but would also love to see some bug fixes to address what looks like some pretty common issues out there, as well as some feature additions/upgrades.

I hate Line 6 with a passion, but one thing they do well with their digital stuffs is continue to innovate. it takes a while for one of their products to truly feel abandoned, as they are constantly at least trying to improve things and respond to customer feedback. Its just too bad that in general, they make a lousy product ;)

One thing I would love to see is some sort of firmware update that totally eliminates the hiss that is present even at low volume. I imagine there is some sort of technical reason for the hiss, but heck, even on true tube amps, you don't get that sort of natural hiss from the speakers until the amp is cranked up pretty high. So lowering the noise floor would be a great fix, in my opinion.

I'd also like to see a more granular level of control over the noise gate. Instead of just off/low/high, assigned a secondary function to a knob by holding the TAP button or something to allow us to set a threshold that works best with our setup.

I don't know what else I can dream up, because I have really had like zero problems with my amp. But it just "feels" like the project is abandoned because there has been no chatter about an ID 2.0 or any other TVP products releases since the original batch, which was what, a couple years ago?

Sorry for the rambling, its what I do best.

Fantom

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:39 am

I would like to see a looper added, I think they should be able to do that using the FS10. other than that I think the amp is pretty sweet as is. I havent experienced the issues a lot of people on here have.

• Information