Sound issues with ID 100 TVP

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
Dimitar Mihov

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi, guys I have some problems with my ID 100 TVP. I bought this amp about 2 months ago and so far I was very happy with it. Great sound and many possibilities to create your own tone. BUT few days ago I noticed strange change of how the amp sounding. May be after 5-10 minutes playing the sound becomes like the amp is clipping. When you play, in some moment, the sound becomes weak and squashy, like when turn down the volume and the gain a bit. Few seconds later it kicks back in and become loud and tight again. It's very annoying and almost unplayable... It wasn't like that when I bought it and the weeks after, until few days ago.
First I decided that the problem is from the battery of my LTD H-1001, but when I changed it, the problem still exist. I tried different guitar with passive pickups, different cables, I tried both outputs ( left and right) of the amplifier ... nothing. I use the original 4X12 cab so it's completely strange ....
Anyone with the same issues? Please help!

myk.robinson

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:48 pm

weirdness.... If you can duplicate the problem with a different guitar and a known good cable (that cable is known to be good, right?) then let's try a few things on the amp side.

Does this happen regardless of the channel used? Try to determine if the issue is isolated to a specific preamp channel or specific tube response.

Can you duplicate the problem through the emulated output?

Have you tried a different speaker cable?

Have you recently performed a firmware update? Have you tried a factory reset?

If all this fails, then you should contract your retailer to seek a replacement, as the amp is still under warranty. There's not a whole lot that can be done since this is a purely digital amp, but we still want to troubleshoot it as if it were a traditional amp to rule out a few things.

Dimitar Mihov

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Today I tried the things you said. I did a system restore, i tried all the channels with different TVP settings, even in "manual" mode, but the problem is still there. It's more obvious with some high gain presets, because with more "drive" it's easy to feel when the amp starts turning itself down. It's important to mention that I've been using this amp mainly for rehearsals at home and at the studio, with only one "live" venue. So the master volume knob has never been set more than eleven o'clock (about 40% of the power). All the cables are OK, I'm pretty sure about it, because I tried change them several times in all combinations possible, but the problem is still there.
The more I test I think this issue is somehow connected with the master volume potenitiometer ... if this thing has one at all. I could not try only the simulated output, because at home there's no how to do it. And as I said this thing started doing "tricks" on me a couple of days ago.
The way I see things I have no other options but to bring the amp back to the retailer for some service or something... That's a real shame because it's one hell of an amp. It showed his teeth to my friend's JCM 800 and sounded even better.
If anyone have any idea how to manage this problem without taking the amp to service, please help :)

myk.robinson

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:24 am

I think the retailer will be your best option at this point. You've tried all the "user serviceable" options, assuming you can duplicate the problem in different locations (possibly of voltage issues at one place?)

Since the amp is really no more than a circuit board, it sounds like it's time to use the warranty :(

• Information