Outsider: a new GUI for controlling ID series amps

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
jgu

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi folks. Those of you with an amp from the Blackstar ID series might be interested in this little project of mine. Since the Insider software doesn't support Linux, I decided to create my own GUI program for controlling the amp. It's still under development, but can already control the main amplifier controls. It's developed in Python, using PyQt5 and PyUSB - feel free to send patches :)

https://github.com/jonathanunderwood/outsider

myk.robinson

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 am

Awesome. May have to give this a shot with my Antergos laptop

Actionman

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:41 pm

That's awesome!
Thanks for sharing dude much appreciated.

JamesH

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks for this - was wondering whether I was going to have to write something myself (only have Linux) but you have saved a lot of effort (and I'm C/C++, not Python so this gives me a good excuse to examine code and learn something!)

Running on Ubuntu 15.04, needed to install python3-pyqt5 rather than python3-qt5, but apart from that seems to work fine. Will probably try and get it going on a Raspberry Pi at some point, which might be a good option.

James

Damian

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks so much for this Jonathan! You're an absolute legend.

I tried to get Insider working on a Win7 image in Virtualbox but didn't have any luck. Insider errors while loading and doesn't detect the amp. I found your post and installed Outsider and it works a treat.

Fantastic work mate, I really appreciate you sharing it with us.

JamesH

Thu May 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Only problem I have had is that the GUI doesn't fit on a EeePC clamshell computer display, which is only 800x600. Must get round to tweaking that!

toddhisattva

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:09 am

Darkstar

"Talk to the amp. You have to talk to it, Doolittle. Teach it PHENOMENOLOGY."

Darkstar is a command-line program that uses Outsider's blackstarid.py to control an amp with MIDI CC, Program Change, and the command line.

It includes instructions on getting Outsider to run on Windows. Darkstar is only tested on Windows 7 and ID:Core 40 Stereo so far.

Possible uses: use three sliders on a MIDI controller to provide 3-band EQ control, send a --volume 0 to the annoying guitarist's amp, switch the preset in time with a backing track, generally have a better time with your Blackstar!

BlackStarAddict

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:15 pm

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all your time and effort. It is greatly appreciated!

• Information