Is anyone actually happy with their ID series amp?

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
neuk01642

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:23 pm

I have issues. Every search I do turns up masses of posts about a huge raft of issues with this series, from patch latency, to volume issues, to inexplicable volume drops between patches, to Insider not working... etc etc etc.

Is this just a bad idea made real or a good idea that's been poorly executed?

I honestly wish I had read this forum more thoroughly before jumping into getting a Blackstar amp I might have thought twice.

I want to love my ID60 TVP head so so much but it's just sketchy and the lamentable customer service and 'technical' support just compounds the issues.

Do I just take the amp back and spend a lot more money to get a similar wattage head from different brand with a better track record?

Dunno people, not feeling the Blackstar love at the moment.

Matt

Fantom

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:08 pm

I love mine, i have the ID:100 and the ID:260 which i rarely use anymore. i've had zero issues with either and i know i can't be the only one. i find tho, people are more prone to post about bad experiences rather than good.

The KIDD

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Most of the issues Ive experienced have been finding the right cables (use well made cables and steel wool that oxidation off the ends occasionally) Dirty, poorly made/insulated cables causes that sizzly scratchy sound during a sustaining note /chord and sometimes simulates a busted speaker... :evil: Also,the amp toggling between 6L6 and EL34 intermittently to which I think DUST is the culprit. She would break up alittle sometimes while that was occurring.But YEAH, damn , what could be so hard about creating a circuit that has a line level OUT from the EO? I use the last 10 presets in the FS-10 for recording. Even then , I use an 8CH brain to preamp alittle (CH VOL on 3.5)..Cant even use EL 84 clean. She only comes in at -21 fully cranked.Have to resort to the harder hittin 6L6. I changed from the Blackbird 70 stock speaker to the Jensen MOD 70 and she cleaned up quite a bit,(less "fuzzy")more focused...Had mine 2 yrs now, and all is well. (just knocked on wood.. :lol: ).She's never exp the insider trip and from what ya read here, She never will... :lol:..Right now, I cant complain. I hope she never has a 28th day of the month moment .... :lol:

KIDD
https://www.youtube.com/JOHNKUHNMUSIC

Garhel

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Yep. ID:100 head, gig with it every week, sounds great, no issues to report... So much easier and reliable than valve amps I used to use, half the weight, and great tone... does it sound as good as my boogie and ac30? Not quite, but not as far away as some would have you believe.

cadblaster

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Good idea,,, Poorly executed.
While most of the people complain about the problems with "Insider",
My issue is with all the "Firmware" bugs in the amp itself. The FS-10 issues and Midi issues are related to the amps software not "Insider".
Of course if your one of the users who never uses all the features, you'll never notice the problems....... :mrgreen:

GUITARAJAX

Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm Happy with ID TVP!

Sure it has its issues but all minor to me and most fixable with tweaking. I've gone through many of the current digital amps and none come close to sounding as good as my ID TVP and that is what matters most to me. Customer support does suck though.

neuk01642

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Cheers for the input ya'll
Afraid to say my ID:60 TVP has been returned and the money traded in for something else.

Exhausted all available avenues and still was lamentable. Low low volume on Emulated out (even with stereo cable and I use good quality cables throughout my rig) and most of the TVP options were unusable as they were so so quiet.

I'm sure through a cab this amp rocks but the E.O. just feels like a complete afterthought that hasn't been executed properly or with the end user in mind.

Glad people have good experiences with there amps, maybe I had a Friday night number and maybe it just wasn't fit for the purpose I wanted it for.

Enjoy your Blackstar lives, going over to the emulator dark side.

johned

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with you ID. I've got an ID60 combo, gig with it most weeks and love the flexibility.
Sure there are things I would like it to do differently but nothing I haven't worked around.
I'm definitely looking forward to the possibility of a Series 2.
Cheers,
John

darth_tar

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

I have the ID:60 combo and the id:100 head, love them both. After I got thecid 60 I used it so much I sold my Mesa head. I have not experienced the hiss issue some people mention and the sounds and feel of the amp are perfect. I like experimenting with the different sounds and have probably 70 patches saved, even the other band members comment on the great sound of both my amps. So no issues for me! I use the Blackstar PEDAL amp programmer/ controller and switch to a midi PEDAL sometimes and amp works great with whichever PEDAL I use to switch patches. Love these amps, and they sound awesome. Have owned MANY tube amps through the years, Fender, Ampeg, Mesa, Crate Palomino, etc, sold most of them, pretty much only take out the Blackstar now. That's my story!

• Information