TVP Problem - Valve models randomly switch.

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
crimsonfire

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 pm

I've been having this problem for a while now, I just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this issue, and if there is a solution. A guy on youtube posted the exact problem that I am experiencing. I've got an ID260, his is an ID60. When I got my amp a while back, everything was fine, but after a few frimware updates, this problem started to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my8UF5QIjZI

bclarke675

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Your reference video no longer exists. However, I am not having the issue. Is there a way you could use Deoxit spray on the controls, with the amp off, work the controls and that may fix the issue, if it is due to dirty switches. Just a suggestion. :idea:

Fretsmith

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi. Having exact same problem with TVP valve models moving about on their own and cutting out all sound in the process. Having researched this issue its clear it is NOT an uncommon problem as Ive seen it surface in forums several times. Have not, however, heard an explanation or remedy. Talked to a Blackstar authorized warranty tech and he did not seem to have any insight and furthermore didn't seem too eager to get my business...?...(maybe they are not a joy to work on?). The random and unpredictable nature of the problem means I certainly cant play out with it. I also have an issue where the sound will suddenly go {significantly) dim and (usually) come back after 10 sec or so. This issue is also mentioned in forums but, again, never addressed. Excepting these severe issues the id260tvp is an amazing amp...right now its just an amazing 80lb paperweight. If anyone has ANY insight on these issues please share. Ive had the amp 31 months...so as best as Ive been able to figure out...it is NOT under warranty. Help!?

Pendragon05

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

My ID15 does the same thing. It will flick between valves on the switch, which is accompanied by a cut in sound. Very annoying to say the least. It has been doing it for some time, and possibly is getting worse.

Could be imagining things but I have noticed in the software it is sometimes ‘reluctant’ to select different valves at times. Is it a hardware or software issue?

Obviously a number of people are experiencing this problem. Similar to Fretsmith, I’d be really interested to know if anyone has successfully resolved the issue, either themselves or via professional repair? And was it expensive? To fix or move on, that is starting to be the question...

Thanks in advance.

Sdblackouts

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Well I got a good one.. I have a id core beam and it randomly cuts the volume off and the amp
Models scroll through like a Christmas light show.. it’s total random. Blackstar said it could be power supply and to change it out. Maybe I will just go katana and not worry about the lack of support and lack of communication with warranty since I just bought 8 months ago. They have not gotten back from their service center and it’s been a week. Blackstar makes good sounding stuff too bad it’s buggy and don’t last.. third blackstar to die on Me.. id30, ht 5 now core beam

Akitanut

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:40 pm

I have a ID:100TVP that is randomly switch the voice control and TVP Control. I tried to clean out the pots with electronic spray but this did not correct the issue. When I took off the rear cover to inspect the circuit boards I really did not see any issues. The Front Circuit board has all the amp controls on it. Attached to this circuit board is a computer processor board. I searched everyplace for a schematic of this amp and could not find one. Testing it with out one is useless. My personal thoughts is the processor board went bad. Trying to find parts for this amp is another challenge. I did find a supplier but they have to order the processor from Blackstar and that is going to take weeks. The cost of the board is crazy! They want $175 plus taxes and shipping. Total costs is over $200 and I don't know if that would fix the issue. If I was to replace both the front control board and the processor board we are now talking around $400....... My amp is not used heavily, not moved around and fairly new. I don't think it should be having this kind of an issue at 2 years old. I now have a useless amp and out hundreds of dollars for something that should have lasted 20 years. Blackstar should send everyone replacement components since this is a issue many of us are having. Instead they choose to ignore the problem and not provide good customer service.

I think this will be gutted and sold for scrap. If I am lucky i can get $15 dollars for the guts and go by my self a bottle of rum.

Has anyone had any success in getting this problem repaired?

mark.worley

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:35 am

I was playing my ID:260TVP at a rehearsal yesterday and it began to randomly change the voice control from Clean Bright to OD1. So from a lovely Vox clean with delays and reverb, to an insane ultra high gain lead sound. It kept doing this for about 30 minutes regardless of how many times I powered it off then on again.
Really frustrating. I agree that this is a great amp, but I can't afford to play it live now, because of this random behaviour.

Lobster

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi All,

I've had this happen once on my ID100TVP head, but put it down to a glitch/temperature/humidity thing..

However, I'm currently refurbing a friends ID260 combo. The TVP switch has been snapped off the front of the panel (no idea how) leaving, well - a sheared off knob.

I'm about to contact Blackstar for a replacement, but am a little uneasy about the soldering. Has anyone ever replaced one of these?

Don't want to get the soldering iron out if I'm going to damage the board....

What do you think?

STIJ.

Cedarburger

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 pm

ID15TVP here. Voicings and TVP change randomly on their own. Support for this amp has been abyssmal locally. I have emailed the company with no responses. I am pretty bummed and about to be put off their products completely. It looks like no representation/response from corporate here either.

• Information