Artist 15 - Crackling and Popping Noise

THE NEW CLASSIC. Artist Series amplifiers.
CaptainSensible

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:30 pm

I purchased my Artist 15 in November 2018. I didn’t have any issues with the amp until September 2019 (last month). At that point, it developed a popping and crackling noise, primarily in Channel 2, when a cable was plugged in. The volume in Channel 2 also was dramatically reduced, with the channel tone sounding thin and scratchy. Occasionally the volume would return to normal for about a minute, but then cut out again.

After consulting with the retailer from whom I purchased the amp, I took it to the local tech that they said did warranty work on Blackstar amps. According to the tech, he replaced a 22UF capacitor and one of the pre-amp tubes. He said that he left the amp on for an extended period of time “post-repair” and the popping noises didn’t occur again.

However, after I got the amp home and plugged it in, the amp began to make the same noises again after about 5 to 10 minutes. Only now the noises were worse and affecting both channels similarly. Once again, the volume on Channel 2 would cut out for a while and then return briefly. Overall, though, the amp could not be played due to all of the crackling and popping noises.

I understand that, as with any tube amp, the tubes may go at some point. But with my Artist, it seems like whatever problems the amp has are causing the tube(s) to fail. I say this because the exact same problem has occurred after the amp was supposedly repaired and a new 12AX7 tube replaced.

Anyway, I'm now sending it back to the retailer for them to have a go at repairing it.

I have to say, given that numerous people apparently have had similar issues with the Blackstar Artist as well as other models, it isn't giving me the greatest confidence in Blackstar or that the amp, once "repaired," won't develop the same problem down the road.

Has anyone else who has had a similar issue and got their amp "repaired" had this problem occur again?

CaptainSensible

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm

The responses have been enlightening.

illini

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:00 am

I also play the Artist amp. How did your repair go? I have played mine for 2 years now without any issues. I love this amp, and hope it continues to hold up.

Matkbuffyfan+

Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:03 am

I have the Artist 15 for sure it’s one of the quietist amps I have ever had . Pre amp tubes usually last years and there is two I think in the artist . I don’t know where you live but the approved Blackstar repair guy in my region I would not send him anything based on his reputation.

• Information