ID core 40 to Kustom 4x12 problem? Please help (rookie)

Discussion - ID:Core amplifiers.
flimbo

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:21 am

Could it be the amp is shutting down due to overload protection? There's a thread on a forum here about it happening a lot with the ID Core 40. Blackstar's response was.

"Thermal shutdowns are a designed in "feature" of the Blackstar ID:Core. Its there to prevent the low wattage speakers from being blown by DC transients that occur when a low wattage power amp is over driven into square wave clipping."

Thread here.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index. ... ic=10758.0

Re: Blackstar ID Core 40 - It has a very poor power amp design - best to avoid .

Last night I was at a recording session with my Kemper, and wanted to use the Blackstar ID Core 40 Aux Input as a basic powered monitor, (to dial in ballpark Kemper Tones between tunes while they loaded up a new song in Protools) - but the damn Blackstar ID Core 40's power limiter auto thermal shutdown "feature" kicks in and disables the Blackstar ID Core 40 Power Amp ( with No sound) after 3 minutes of playing the Kemper (Kemper Headphone Out > BlackStar ID-Core 40's 3.5mm TRS Aux Input) at very low volume. You have to shut off the Blackstar ID Core 40 power switch and wait a few minutes before it works again, then repeats the same process of shutting down after three minutes of use. Just dreadful - NOT RECOMMENDED! .
Last edited by flimbo on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renoboyd

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 am

The cab is a PH412B

renoboyd

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Yea, these were gifts and purchased on line. Sweetwater for the head, an amazon sale on the cab. Sweetwater tested the second head before shipping (we figured it to be bad) and it tested good there, but same problem here. Its on a Kustom PH412B which has 2 inputs as a stereo cab listed as 8 ohms and 120W. The only thing I can figure is when the head goes into the REVERB (or other mode) somehow it changes alters the ohms need? I dunno.

renoboyd

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Kustom responded with, it has to be the head. right. What happens when the head is put in reverb mode? Does the impedance change?

renoboyd

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 pm

So in the world of "I didnt expect that". I went though the update process to get firmware up to date. Has same problem but NOW will take about 40% of volume before it gives. Before it was only a whisper. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Note: I can still put pedal effects without using built in ones and get max volume out of it. I wonder what changes when you hit the effects to make it stop? I read allot about a thermal trigger to prevent problems, but at that volume putting into a 120w cab its not even close....

miket

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I looked up the 412 cab you have. It is NOT stereo. Having 2 jacks does not mean they are independent either. Most likely they are common and tied together in order to add additional cab. That is why the amp is shutting down. The design is a good one because it's not catching on fire as many SS amps would when the two internal amps are not isolated. You are lucky the design was like that, and the amp didn't blow up.

If you plug only one cable in does it work with FX on? If it does, then you have to rewire that cab for isolated speaker output.

You will have to open that cab up and wire it so the jacks are each connected to one pr of speakers. Check teh speaker impedance of each. If they are 16 Ohm ea, you can put them in parallel all the way to the jack. If they are 4 Ohm then you need to wire them in Series and then back to jack.

flimbo

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 am

Did this problem ever get resolved?

• Information