ID core 40 to Kustom 4x12 problem? Please help (rookie)

Discussion - ID:Core amplifiers.
renoboyd

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 am

So I asked for, and received for Christmas, the ID core 40 (which seems to have everything I want), and a Kustom 4x12 8ohm stereo input cab. Loud but not too loud, for my needs and wants it is perfect. Except, I am sure I am doing something obviously stupid here. This is my first AMP / CAB separate ever. Hooking it up (Both are brand new) all the voicings are great, loud, clean, OD, Crunch, etc. I can crank them up to max, and its really wonderful. As soon as I hit an effect like reverb, delay, etc I get about 1/10 of a second of play and it stops. I have to power down the amp to get it to work again, and any time I try to use the effects above a whisper it stops again. I can use it with headphones perfectly. The CAB is a 4x12 8ohm 120W 240W max peak stereo. With the amp having 40W stereo out, it seems like a match??? I have factory reset and replaced both the amp and the cab thinking something was wrong with either but its still happening. Like I said, someone will read this and think "YOU IDIOT" and fill me in on something obvious here. Any help is appreciated. I can play without the built in effects, but hey this amp is coolest with everything working and the headphones tell me its great... Please help....

renoboyd

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:03 pm

No suggestions, anyone??

flimbo

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

I would have thought the amp sounds faulty but if you say you've already replaced it...then I don't know.
Is it the ID Core 40 head or combo?

renoboyd

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Its the head. I would have thought replacing one or the other would solve it if something was defective. But alas. Now I am stumped. :?:

lurkalot

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:12 am

How are you hooking up that Kustom 4x12 stereo cab? How many input sockets does it have, one stereo socket or two mono?? Are you using both the left and right outputs on the back of the amp?

renoboyd

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 am

The back of the cabinet has two 8 ohm inputs as a stereo cab. I have both outputs of the amp hooked up to them. It works with all modes until I push the REVERB, DELAY or MOD (the effects). Any one or combination and it does not output for more than a tenth of a second. All other modes, voicings work. I get those effects via headphones without issue.

lurkalot

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:10 am

renoboyd wrote:The back of the cabinet has two 8 ohm inputs as a stereo cab. I have both outputs of the amp hooked up to them. It works with all modes until I push the REVERB, DELAY or MOD (the effects). Any one or combination and it does not output for more than a tenth of a second. All other modes, voicings work. I get those effects via headphones without issue.
Strange. Does it have a stereo / mono switch on the back of the cab? And if so this is set to stereo?

Other than that I'm stumped as to why this is happening.

flimbo

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Have you updated the firmware on the amp with Blackstar Insider?

renoboyd

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:27 am

The cab doesnt have a stereo switch. Just two inputs, and it listed as a stereo cab which utilizes one side if in mono, both if in stereo. This is the second blackstar I have had, and neither have had an update to firmware, however, this one was checked before it was sent to me as working on another cab in all modes. The first AND the second head both have the same exact problem. This is also the second CAB. Both do the same thing. I am stumped.

lurkalot

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:04 am

renoboyd wrote:The cab doesnt have a stereo switch. Just two inputs, and it listed as a stereo cab which utilizes one side if in mono, both if in stereo. This is the second blackstar I have had, and neither have had an update to firmware, however, this one was checked before it was sent to me as working on another cab in all modes. The first AND the second head both have the same exact problem. This is also the second CAB. Both do the same thing. I am stumped.
Just wondering if trying this out in the store you purchased the cab or amp from would be an option. I'm assuming you bought these online? There's obviously something wrong somewhere, but what I haven't a clue. Can you get your hands on a different cab to test the amp on.

By the way. what is the exact model of the Kustom cab you have?

• Information