ID: Core 20 will not power up.

Discussion - ID:Core amplifiers.
gtrplayr1976

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:32 am

Hi folks. I bought my son an ID:Core 20 almost two years ago to date. It just recently started having power issues. He said he could play with the cables ,and it would work for awhile. Then it just got to where it wouldn't work. The blue light on the PS just pulses. After reading some comments on here about the ID 10 I thought maybe the PS was bad ,so I ordered another from Parts Is Parts. That one did the same thing initially , but after examining the power cord I tightened up the connections a little ,and now the light stays on as long as I leave the power switch off. When I turn it on the light fades ,and then begins to pulse like the other. The original PS still just pulses. Has there been any resolution to these issues ? These aren't worth sending to a repair shop due to cost of repair vs cost of amp. I have a couple of Blackstars , but won't be looking at anymore if this isn't resolved. $50 for a PS. I won't be buying anymore.

miket

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 am

I've looked at a few IDC amps and from what I generally find are problems with the power supply, or amp output ic. I'm not sure what they would charge to fix it. These amps like most production combos are made to be primarily board swaps. Some thing goes bad, you change the main board or the power supply.

Guy brought one in said was a piece of junk. I opened it up and you could see it was dropped by the customer. Cracked board. That rarely happens in shipping, and besides he owned it for 15 mos.

Repairs are also common on Roland Cube, Spider, Vox AD, Peavey. Almost all of these amps are sold with minimal warranty or more of a direct dealer option for warranty. Some dealers prefer to exchange units, but those periods are usually limited and offered more to extended warranty purchasers. GC offered me a 3 yr exchange no fault warranty for $39 on my IDC100. I said sure. Little over 12 bucks a year and if mine fails I get a new one or current model of similar original value.

Considering the production cost and production mfg techniques of these products, it's hard to assume extended longevity. These amps are not built like the high end lines.

Pop it open and look for something obvious. Maybe a wire is loose or a bad solder connection. Bad switch. Lots of things can cause the problems that may be simple repairs.

gtrplayr1976

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:04 pm

I am going to open it up ,and look for anything obvious. I had heard some cases where the power cord itself is bad , but it checks ok. Can boards be purchased for these ? I guess the new PS I bought could be bad too ,but it seems to work until I power on then it just seems to suck the power out of it. I have thought about building one out of better components.

I have a Roland micro cube ,and a Cube 30 that I've had for years with no issues so far.

I had a two year warranty on this one if I had only remembered I had it. :lol:

miket

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40 am

Check with the dealer. They may offer an exchange. Can't hurt.

I don't think you can buy boards for these. They are supposed to be repaired by auth Korg dealer/servicers.

I had Cube 60 that went dead. Needed a new main board. Roland said $273. It made the next landfill trip after my brother scrapped what he could out of it.

gtrplayr1976

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 am

Well I found out it is still under warranty ,so I return it to Sweetwater ,and they do the rest. Curious to see what they find.

• Information