ID:Core 10 V1 and Windows 10 or macOS 10.13

Discussion - ID:Core amplifiers.
Tim Jones

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Folks,

I own an original ID:Core 10 V1 that has been used as a simple bedroom amp for the last 2 years or so. After visiting with a friend who also owns one and uses the Insider app to provide better control and patch management, I decide to get the ID:Core out of the closet and see where I could take it sonically. I downloaded the latest version of Insider (as of 2/20) and installed both the Mac version on my Mac Book Pro and the Windows version onto my desktop running Windows 10.

I tried the macOS version and while there were no macOS errors, Insider did not even recognize that the Amp was connected. I verified that the Mac saw the amp in System Profiler.

I then loaded the Windows version and connected the amp to the desktop system. Windows then provided the "you've connected SOMETHING, but I have no idea what it is" chime sounds. Looking at the Device Manager shows an unknown USB device.

In both cases, I tried multiple USB cables and multiple USB 2 and USB 3 ports (as well as a couple of USB hubs) with no difference.

I also tried the factory reset option. Is there a device driver that I should be loading on my systems?

Hoping that some of you may have "insight" into what might be happening.

Tim

surfymark

Tue May 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi! I had some trouble at first connecting the amp to my Macbook Pro.

It turned out the issue I had was that I was using a USB hub (as my MBP only has USB C ports). I bought a USB C to USB Mini cable from here: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1

This worked straight away (and handily also works with an external hard disk drive I have!)

I have found lots of issues with connecting things to the MBP that have been solved by using direct USB C cables.

I also recently upgraded my MBP to Catalina (which of course is not supported by Blackstar Insider) so I built a virtual machine running Mojave and can even connect to the amp from Insider running inside my VM! I was most surprised!

Hope that helps!
Mark

Lobster

Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm

surfymark wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:23 pm

I also recently upgraded my MBP to Catalina (which of course is not supported by Blackstar Insider) so I built a virtual machine running Mojave and can even connect to the amp from Insider running inside my VM! I was most surprised!
Hi Mark,

I'd be very interested in how you did this!

Do I need a degree in programming, or is it something a layman could do?

Let me know - I'm getting tired of balancing my old iMac on a drum stool next to the amp!

STIJ

• Information