Patch Volume Disparity Between Clean and Distortion Patches

Discussion - ID:Core amplifiers.
KenGreen

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:25 pm

I have an ID Core 20 V3 and am new to this. I bought a footswitch mainly to switch between clean patches and patches with distortion. The volume disparity between the patches is so great that I want to reduce the volume of the distorted patches and/or increase the volume of the clean patches. The only way that I found do this is with the gain setting because the volume level is not saved with the patches. If I increase the gain on a clean patch so the volume matches, the clean channel starts to get distorted and the reverse if I reduce the gain on the distorted channels. How do I achieve this ? What am I missing ?

marcoarceo

Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:38 am

KenGreen wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:25 pm
I have an ID Core 20 V3 and am new to this. I bought a footswitch mainly to switch between clean patches and patches with distortion. The volume disparity between the patches is so great that I want to reduce the volume of the distorted patches and/or increase the volume of the clean patches. The only way that I found do this is with the gain setting because the volume level is not saved with the patches. If I increase the gain on a clean patch so the volume matches, the clean channel starts to get distorted and the reverse if I reduce the gain on the distorted channels. How do I achieve this ? What am I missing uno online?
According to the Owner’s Manual for the Blackstar ID:CORE STEREO 20 V3, the gain control adjusts the amount of overdrive or distortion. The volume disparity between clean patches and patches with distortion can be adjusted by using the gain control. However, as you have noted, increasing the gain on a clean patch can cause it to distort and reducing the gain on a distorted patch can cause it to lose its character.

One solution to this problem is to use an external volume pedal or attenuator to adjust the volume of your guitar signal before it enters the amplifier. This will allow you to adjust the volume of your clean and distorted patches independently without affecting their tone or character.

Another solution is to use a compressor pedal in your signal chain. A compressor pedal will reduce the dynamic range of your guitar signal, making it easier to balance the volume levels of your clean and distorted patches.

Of course, I never faced this issue, so I don't know the effect of the 2 solutions. I just think that they can help you. Hope this helps!

• Information