Oldie newbie.

Tell everyone about your background and why you chose Blackstar
John Scrip

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Had long hair and a six pack some years back... Used to make a decent living crankin' out the metal (had a Laney endorsement in the "AOR" era - You Blackstar guys may know some people over there from those days I'd bet).

Anyway, stopped the crazy stuff a while ago, but still have a few hanging on the walls. I occasionally get called up to "guest" with this or that -- Usually something quasi-classical (think Ashokan Farewell and the like) but was recently called up for this:

Queen - We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody with an 87-piece orchestra...
Never had a chance to "rock" with an orchestra before -- Frankly, I wasn't expecting it to be as well-received as it was and they're already planning more of this stuff out for next season. Bought a Line 6 Spider III 2x12 for the occasion. Really wasn't liking the sound so much. So I figured as long as there's something potentially coming up in the future, I thought I'd start looking for something that was freakishly portable, but really sounded more like a tube amp.

Played several Blackstar amps here and there (Sam Ash, Guitar Shack, etc.) and really liked 'em. But again, I'm only a part-timer at best anymore, so I didn't want to get an amp that I knew I'd be tweaking forever. That's one nice thing about solid-state... It is what it is and have a nice day. And they're typically much lighter. And less expensive (etc.).

Blah, blah, yada, yada, a few YouTube videos later, I ordered the ID60TVP and I'm pretty stoked about it. It really sounds great.

I have some issues with the software so far... And I'd love to know if there's some sort of "manual" setting for the OD noise gate (that's right up at the top of the list at this point). But otherwise, it's got a helluva tone.

Markystang

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 am

Welcome! Have fun with your new amp!

• Information