New Blackstar owner

Tell everyone about your background and why you chose Blackstar
rschleicher

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:53 pm

I just received my new HT Club 40, as a Halloween "treat". I've only just checked that it survived shipping OK, but I look forward to exploring all of the tonal choices! I suppose I am basically a mid-life "crisis" guitar player. I was in a band when I was in middle-school and early HS (basically from 1967 to around 1970), but that was it. But I kept my old Sears Silvertone (Harmony-built) guitar (sort of a Fender Jazzmaster copy), and would noodle around with it periodically. (Sadly, I actually threw out my old 5-watt Silvertone amp when it started shocking me when I touched the on/off switch, and replaced it with a cheap Fender SS amp. Why didn't I fix it????)

Around 4 years ago my wife surprised me with a pre-paid month's worth of lessons at a local music store, and I've been taking lessons ever since. But with fairly limited practice time, I'm basically an intermediate-type player.

Although my teacher was in a late-70's New York punk/New Wave band (the Zeroids), who backed quite a few well-known acts at NYC clubs like CBGB's and the Mudd Club, his interests are mostly in jazz. But he is fine with teaching me things related to my interests, that are mainly in the classic rock and blues area. That said, he throws in some jazz, as well as some country fingerpicking, dead-thumb, etc., to broaden my horizons...

The new HT Club 40 is my only amp, other than the old Fender "Frontman". I'll keep the Fender, mostly in case someone else comes over to jam. It's overdrive channel is pretty "solid-state" sounding, but its clean tones are not bad.

My guitars include the old Silvertone, a Tele-copy that I built from a kit, a cheap Strat copy, and my one "good" electric, a PRS Custom 24 (2011, with the 59/09 PAF-style pickups). I also have a Japan-built Takamine cut-away dreadnought, and even a ukelele!

I can't wait to try out all of the guitars (including the Tak) with the new amp! (No pick-up on the uke, though!)

• Information