Speaker recommendation for Studio 10 EL34

THE BENEFITS OF BEING SINGLE. Three single-ended valve combos, featuring either a KT88, EL34, or 6L6 power valve.
yomutha

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:51 am

Howdy! Man, I haven't posted in this forum in a long while. I would like to request a speaker recommendation.

So I recently replaced the stock 7080 with a WGS Veteran 30 (V30-style), and while the Vet is muuuch better than the 7080, it seems to have made the tone slightly darker to my ears.

I bought the Vet because I got a good deal on it, but TBH I have no prior experience or knowledge in guitar amp speakers.

I primarily play a Tele in an apartment through an attenuator, and perhaps that's the main reason why the amp sounds dark (I dabbled with an EQ pedal, but I don't like it). I play hard rock and punk with my dirty tones, and my ideal clean is a punchy, funk tone. Now, I can get those tones with the Vet; however, I'd like to know if there is another speaker that could get me a brighter tone.

I've narrowed down the choices (they're all WGS, just to make choosing easier for myself):

• Reaper (G12H30 70th Anniv)
• Reaper HP (higher-wattage version)
• Retro 30 (higher-wattage version of the Vet 30/V30)
• Invader (higher-wattage version of the Green Beret/Greenback)

Which of these would you recommend for the anp and my style of playing? Or might there be a completely different speaker more suitable for me? There's just not much info regarding Studio 10 amps and even less about swapping speakers in them.

Thank you in advance for your guidance. I look forward to your response. Cheers.

• Information