Loosing sound on ht stage 60

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
mthrfq3r

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:43 am

My stage 60 works for about 2-3 minutes then I loose all sound on both channels. Im guessing tubes? only had the amp for about 3 months, and it under warranty but im not dealing with the bs if its just tubes. Any suggestions?

ronnie robinson

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:53 am

Yep - If it effects boths channels then have a look at the Power tubes, Do a visual check of all does this identify the culprit and check the valves are all seated correctly.

If the problem is not identified can u swap in some replacements or borrow a couple of EL34s from a friend who has tube Amps - if your only using the power tubes for a short while in order to identify the problem it does nt matter about getting them biased.

If its not the tubes or problem cant be identified quickly I'd take it back to the dealer to get fixed.

mthrfq3r

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks for the response! I did take the back off the amp and try to reseat the tubes with no luck, also the fuses seem to be fine. Im going to pull the power tubes out of another amp I have and swap them in once I get to my studio. Never had tubes act that way that are bad or going bad, I usually get some warning signs with hiss/crackles and what not. I hope its the tubes, where I live in Minnesota there are no authorized dealers or repair shops I had ordered this amp online after playing one on the road and fell in love with it. Thanks again for the response, I will post an update once I do some more troubleshooting

I Wanna Rock

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:22 am

mthrfq3r wrote:My stage 60 works for about 2-3 minutes then I loose all sound on both channels. Im guessing tubes? only had the amp for about 3 months, and it under warranty but im not dealing with the bs if its just tubes. Any suggestions?
If you shut it off and then back on does it work for another 2-3 minutes and then lose sound again?

mthrfq3r

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 am

Yes it does, I've tried pulling and reinstalling the power tubes to see if they had a bad connection but the problem continues. Won't be in my studio until Wednesday to swap tubes but any suggestion is appreciated

I Wanna Rock

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 am

mthrfq3r wrote:Yes it does, I've tried pulling and reinstalling the power tubes to see if they had a bad connection but the problem continues. Won't be in my studio until Wednesday to swap tubes but any suggestion is appreciated
Could be a bad solder joint that heats up and breaks connection.
Try wiggling the master volume pot when it cuts out and see if it comes back. I just repaired an HT20 head that was cutting out and there was a bad solder on the master volume pot.

mthrfq3r

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm

I will give it try for sure, thank you so much!

mthrfq3r

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Swapped out the power tubes, biased them and amp works fine! Just had some back luck with the stock tubes. I'm going to order and replace them all. Thank you so much for your help and insight guys, hopefully I can return the favor

I Wanna Rock

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

good to hear it was a simple fix.
too bad I keep reading posts about bad power tubes.
I'm going to do some research and also contact Blackstar and see if this is something they're aware of.
If these problems persist, I may start replacing the tubes in all the Blackstar amps I get in my store as soon as they arrive so the customer won't have to deal with it 6 months down the road.

• Information